What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. alpina

Does anyone have information on Utricularia alpina? I know its epiphytic... and it has enormous pretty flowers that are ALMOST reminiscient of a Heliamphora's...

Does anyone know where I can find some for sale?

Thanks!

Here you go Parasuco,

How to Grow Utricularia (Orchid flower Epiphytic Species)

Media:
Many recommend pure LF NZ or Chilean sphag. A mix of equal parts LF sphag:eek:rchid bark:lava rock:peat:charcoal is also reported as functional.

Pots:
These plant must be grown in drained pots as they require excellent drainage. They will grow to fill their pots so any size will work, most species do fine in 3-4” pots but larger pots do not hurt. There is also some evidence that these plant need to reach a critical minimum size before they flower, 6” being the most often cited minimum pot size.

Watering:
These plants are best treated like Nepenthes, watering to keep the media damp but not soaking wet.

Light:
Most of these Utrics are best grown under half sun or 8-10” from fluorescents. They also succeed well in bright windowsills.

Temperature:
While these species all grow in South America the majority are native to highland conditions and grow best under similar conditions to highland Nepenthes. Daytime temperatures are generally best at a maximum of 75 ideally 67-70, night temps should drop to about 65-70. They can also be grown at a constant range of 65-72. There are some exceptions to this though.

Humidity:
Humidity should be high, in the 80-100% range, though they might be conditioned to somewhat lower humidity levels

Dormancy:
The epiphytic Utrics have a variety of dormancy/pseudo-dormancy patterns. For most of the species there is a slowing or cessation of growth that occurs during summer/ times of increased temperature, during this time the media should be kept only damp. U. endresii has a true dormancy period where it’s leaves will die back and the plant should be kept dry though humidity should still be high to prevent desiccation of the tubers.

Propagation:
These plants are propagated most easily via division. A clump is best taken from the mother plant during active growth and potted up it up in new media, ensure you keep the humidity high for the division and the parent plant.

These guys are pretty hard to locate on this side of the Atlantic (rumor has it they are obnoxiously common in Europe.) There are growers out there who have them, it just takes time to find someone willing to supply you. I'm looking and I'll let you know if I find anyone (and if you find someone and could let me know I would be much obliged.)

Pyro

can and do these 'epiphytic' utrics actually grow on trees in the wild? thanx!!!

-josh

Thanks Pyro!!!
I will let you know...

theironmonkey... I think that they actually just grow in leaf little and stuff like that... Probably in the nooks of branches where leavs collect i would suppose...

Josh, (and Parasuco too)

Most of the epiphytes do go on trees though they also grow as terrestrials too. Like Parasuco said, it is often in pockets of litter and stuff but I have also seen photos of plants growing on moss covered branches and in these cases I would assume that the the plants are anchored directly to the tree and only have a thin layer of moss covering them for moisture

For some nice pics check out this site (scrool down to the group names and click Orchidioides.)

Pyro

Back