Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3 blue bladderworts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day everyone,

Three of my blue flowered Utricularias have decided to open up for me in the last few days. I took a few shots tonight and thought you all might want a look.

Firstly, a nice closeup of U. uniflora-

[img]http://home.**********.com/seanspence/images/U.uniflora1.JPG[/img]

Next, a double flowered scape of U. warburgii-

[img]http://home.**********.com/seanspence/images/U.warburgii1.JPG[/img]

And finally a single flower of U. pubescens-

[img]http://home.**********.com/seanspence/images/U. pubescens3.JPG[/img]

I hope you like them.

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

Does anybody out there grow this species? If so what conditions do you grow the plant in and how well does it grow for you? I want to compare to my growing conditions as I have never been able to find much information on this species.

Regards,

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Seandew,

I will be no help to you as of yet. Although I am trying to get my hands on these. I just wanted to comment on your wonderful pictures. You have a talent with a camera. The U. pubescens surely has that hint of blue. Fantastic.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have U. uniflora and U. pubescens. I have not flowered either but a customer flowered U. uniflora only after a few months. I suspect because I am frequently yanking pieces off to propagate, this is delaying flowering.

I have them potted in primarily peat with a little medium grade silica sand. They get overhead watered nearly every day from the sprinkler system and sit on a bench which holds only a thin layer of water. So they are pretty wet but not 'boggy' or submerged. They both have grown very well for me.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

The first flower is very pretty, I think I'll get some of that plant ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow all these species. I keep them all in tray watering on a wet to dry (more wet than dry) cycle. U. uniflora grows slowly, but has flowered for me, in fact, it's doing that right now. I suspect that like other U. dichotoma forms this would respond to life as a subaffixed aquatic, but haven't experimented along those lines yet.

U. warburgii behaves much like an annual for me: grows thick and well with many numerous rosettes, flowers, and dies back to almost nothing, leaving but a few rosettes in the pot. I think this one needs frequent repotting.

U. pubescens grows well for me but WILL NOT flower. It has never flowered for me....maybe I need to switch deodorants or something OF the 3 species, this one is the most problematical: it thrives and wanes without rhyme or reason that I can find. I have grown it wet, dry, warm, cool inside and outside. I am considering exposing the plant to a prolonged cold period to see if this might trigger anything other than death of the plant.

I grow all these species in pure rinsed and sifted peat. I have noticed greater growth in the warm months. Plants sit about 8 inches from twin 40 watt grolux tubes in good relative humidity.

That's how I do it :-)
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

None of these flowers look blue to me, they're very pinkish. Why are they reffered to as blue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question LATraphole!

The U. pubescens is probably the bluest of the 3. The pubescens and warburgii tend to start off a deep blue colour but as they grow (yes, the flowers do grow) they tend to lighten up in colour and turn a bit pinkish. The uniflora seems to do the opposite for me. It begins pinkish then turns bluer as it ages.

I do admit that all 3 flowers pictured probably appear more pink than blue. I think the camera also exaggerates the pink too. I find it extremely difficult to get a perfectly accurate color depiction of blue flowers with my camera- especially when a flash is used as it was in these 3 shots. It is very close though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps I should have entitled the thread "3 bluish bladderworts".

Regards,

Sean.