User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epiphytic?  utrics?  reeeeeaaaaallly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is in a mesh basket type pot, in live moss, sitting in an inch of water, 100% humidity. Day temps are high 70F, nights middle 50'sF. I have a lot of light hitting it. It is growing very well, and is putting out leaf stolons through the mesh as well as on the surface. There are 3 distinct leaf forms on mine.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, leaf shape of Ut. humboldtii may vary greatly even on the same plant. My clone does produce so different leaf shapes I wouldn't even guess they are the same species. Humidity does not seem to be a need for them at all. I do grow mine on a windowsill above the heater. Stolens do develop best in the water tray which seems to resemble its natural habit in B. reducta quite well. Oh and inside the B. reducta my clone also seems to grow well.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine also has several leaf forms. It seems to be very variable. What do yours look like Tamlin, Joachim? Mine have tall spoon-like leafs, short squat leafs, and very tall bladed leafs. I will try growing it in a mesh pot later to see how that does. It is growing an enourmous amount of leafs. I cant wait to see if it will flower for me.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my plant is still very strange looking... I buried the white, root-like parts, and left the greener parts above the soil line, but it's just a mass of stem, leaves, and roots. It has a few paddle-like leaves, but otherwise, too difficult to differentiate. I've had it almost a week, and it hasn't changed much. I did notice what could be a new leaf - a thin green stem pointing upwards and curled at the end like a fern frond - is this what a new leaf looks like? There are so few pics on the internet, I have no idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cole,

I'm not that good in describing plants, so here is a photo of my biggest one:

[img]http://home.**********.com/joachim/Ut_humboldtii_1202.jpg[/img]

The picture is not the best one but I do think you'll get an idea of the leaf shapes. The pot size is 11cm btw.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photo. Is a pot with holes like that preferable to a regular pot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I did try this pot because the Sphagnum and also the runners might grow easily through the holes and are not restricted to the pot. I don't know if it is an advantage but the plant did what I expected and grew through these holes into the tray. The tray is normally filled up to the rim, not like the level on the photo. Some runners went down into the tray and those were the best and biggest ones the plant developed (already took two of them apart).

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm starting to notice bladelike green growth popping out of the sphagnum, so it would appear the humboldtii is beginning to grow... thanks for bearing with me.

My next concern: I also obtained an alpina also. It has several leaves, and tubers as well... should I keep it dry? Is dry dormancy necessary for these to bloom? And exactly how dry?

Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast