What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.nelumbifolia seeds

Photo of my nelumbifolia seeds. see the green embryos with shoots & roots all ready to sprout! They are about 1.5mm long.

NELUMBIFOLIA%20SEED%2002.JPG

Wow, those are awesome! The viability is not long for these, is it? Even mailing them might doom them.
I got a couple of tiny plants once, but they did not make it a week after being shipped from Europe.
What do you grow the parent plant(s) in?

Regards,

Joe

I grow them in pure live sphagnum, in deep water. the seeds germinate almost immediately you sow them!

Steve

Does U. nelumbifolia need any help to set seed? does it self or do you need to cross two clones? Not that my clone (soon to be two  
smile.gif
) is big enough to flower, but it is well to know these things in advance, and I'm curious too.

Cheers

Vic

Woah! Those are cool!

Maybe I have to add this species to my want list...hmmm
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vic Brown @ June 26 2003,7:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Steve

Does U. nelumbifolia need any help to set seed? does it self or do you need to cross two clones? Not that my clone (soon to be two  
smile.gif
) is big enough to flower, but it is well to know these things in advance, and I'm curious too.

Cheers

Vic[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Vic
I dont know if they set themselves, as I self-pollinate mine with a wooden toothpick, quite easy as the flowers are so large!
Stephen

Wow what a picture! I posted a note in other forums!
Great plants!

Good growing!
Jan

Nice photo Steve - was that the Ricoh again? However, if your plants have ready-to-sprout roots, it must be some kind of mutant. I think posting seeds in water in a film canister is OK, as they can start germinating, although from Europe to the USA might take too long. This species doesn't need to be that big to flower, as I've had a fairly small seed-grown plant send up a flower scape. It's pretty adaptable as to compost - peat & sand is OK, but the stolons into the water tray always do well growing underneath all the other pots.

Giles

Posting them as regular seeds works well. I recently received some seeds of this sp.(one week in transit) and most of the seeds germinated within a day.

trying not to be too technical Giles. of course they dont have "true" roots or leaves
biggrin.gif

yes, that is the Ricoh again at closest focus.

I didn't think it was terribly technical, just that they lack roots and have only a shoot. Will you be posting some pics of the plantlets when they germinate? Or maybe a whole germination series at intervals would be interesting, if you have the time.

CP2K - were your seeds posted dry, like in a paper packet?

Giles

Yes, they were posted dry in a paper packet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Giles_KS @ June 27 2003,10:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Will you be posting some pics of the plantlets when they germinate? Or maybe a whole germination series at intervals would be interesting, if you have the time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
not if I'm going to get sarky comments at every stage
mad.gif

Please, oh, please post lots of photos! I think this would be a great treat for all of us who aren't so fortunate as to cultivate this plant! Those seeds are AMAZING, and the photo essay will make it onto Bob. Z's site and would be a gift to the world. Go for it!

OK, I'll stop. Just don't mention the roots.

The next time mine flowers, I'll try to do some viability tests after dry storage, unless anyone else wants to first.

Giles

here you go then, some pics of recently germinated seeds. see the lovely roots! (only joking Giles)
wink.gif

RIMG0117%20small.jpg

wow that is awesome. I just added it to my wish list.

thanks for posting the photos

Wow! Those are amazing. I cant wait to get my greedy little fingers a u.nelumbifolia!

Thanks for the Picture!
Cole

Yeah Colieo, I second that. My plant turns out to be U. reniformis small form. Ah well, some you win some you lose.

I sowed a load of seeds of this species a while back on a bed of Sphagnum and they germinated and grew a few small leaves. Eventually, as they weren't growing very fast I dug them up and planted them in individual pots (the 'underground' had grown much faster) with peat/sand mix. They seemed to prefer this and did much better, growing rapidly and one even flowered relatively quickly.

Giles

Back