What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much light...

Ok, let me give you some background. I have U. Longifolia, U. Tridentata, U. Flaccida and U. Livida growing in a screened in porch. Right now they're getting 3-4 hrs of sun filtered through the screen (no idea how filtered it actually is). Unfortunately, the sun is moving South and the strip of light in my porch is slowly getting smaller because the side of the house is blocking the light. I'm wondering if they can be moved outside to get 6-7 hrs direct sunlight, from 12 PM to 6 PM. Will they survive, or be burned to a crisp?

SF
confused.gif

I have had limited experience with outdoor growing of Utricularia. I placed a full pot of U. dichotoma in the outdoor bog in full sun last spring. The above ground stolons died within days. Then the plant began sending up new "leaves" and these were acclimated to the full sun. The growth rate was incredible compared to indoor growing. I think that you need a good amount of "root ball" to do this though. If you have a smaller amount, I suggest that you go slowly so as not to sunburn the plants. Utricularia seem particularly sensitive to burning in my experience. I also placed U. pubescens in similar conditions, and it did less well. I was amazed at the prolific flowering of U. dichotoma grown outdoors as a sub aquatic: easily 40 scapes, and these set seed. Apparently there was a local pollinator with a taste for Australian honey!

wow ,
did you have a chance to collect seeds ?
i wonder what the offspring would look like .

what a kool bog you must have !!!!!!!

Seeds of U. dichotoma are not of much interest since the plant is so easily reproduced from stolon cuttings. I figure since all the flowers are of the same clone that there would be very little recombinaton, so essentially it would be a clone of the original. It was neat to see them form though! I never did see the pollinator, although once I noted a small black beetle on the flower.

Back