What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feed U.gibba ants?

Hi i was wondering if i should drop a ant in the tank with my U.gibba do u think the ant is to big for the u.gibba to eat?

I'd avoid ants. The main problem that I can see is that ants don't swim too well
wink.gif

To feed sub-affixed and aquatics I would suggest daphnia. Or if you wait a while you will get things like springtails and fungus gnat larva in the pot. They just seem to go hand in hand with CP growing and will appear out of no where.

Pyro

no i dont mean for it to swim, ive heard that if the "creature" is near a trap it wil suck it in along with some water. So if drop the ant in and he floats around eventulally he will get near a trap and get sucked in right?

I have actaully tried that before with a tiny ant with my U.gibba. I placed it near a trap that was floating on the surface. Nothin happned.

Possibly but first it'd have to get near a trap, which will probably be underwater, and the ant will likely float until it dies and then it won't be moving when it gets near a trap so won't trigger it.

I would think would be that the ant would be too large to get past the guard bristles on the trap. It's a purely mechanical trap, so it needs a defense against being triggered by passing debris.

Wes,
I will put some daphina in with the U. gibba I am sending you. Hopefully they will repoduce faster than they get eaten.

Magore,
Ihave been thinking of getting some daphnia for my utricularia. What type do you suggest magna or pulex or does it matter?

Depends on what size traps you have. The magna is a little large for U.gibba, in my opion, so I would go with the pulex. The pulex eggs I ordered form Carolina Biological appear to have both pulex and magna eggs, so you could try getting some from them.

Back