Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some terrestrial utricularias

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

and thanks for the replies. Personally I would be hesitant to differentiate species by the colors of the flowers, since there is a possibility that this is something that can differ between populations. On the other hand the size differences will be helpful so I will have to take a closer at my plant.

Thanks again,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, flower colour is often highly variable in utric species. However, Taylor says that the difference in colour between these two species is consistent. The flower descriptions are quoted from his monograph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Although the last flowers were not in best of shape they had a total lenght (height) of 7 mm, the lower lip is 5 mm.

I found a communication between Loyd Wix and Fernando Rivadavia in the CP list archive (from 1996) regarding these species and although it didn't clarify everything it was still interesting, especially as I acquired my plant from Loyd:

http://www2.labs.agilent.com/botany/...6alld/3744.htm

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a tough one. Going through taylor I keep coming to the conclusion that it really is a small white-flowered variety of U. blanchetti. It is a little too big to be parthenopipes (mine comes in at 7mm too), and the upper lip is shaped like blanchetii and not parthenopipes. As well, the spur isn't really much shorted and less acute as taylor says it should be.

But it is very clearly exactly the same colour and markings as Taylor describes for U. parthenopipes.

It's giving me a headache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a tough one. Going through taylor I keep coming to the conclusion that it really is a small white-flowered variety of U. blanchetti. It is a little too big to be parthenopipes (mine comes in at 7mm too), and the upper lip is shaped like blanchetii and not parthenopipes. As well, the spur isn't really much shorted and less acute as taylor says it should be.

But it is very clearly exactly the same colour and markings as Taylor describes for U. parthenopipes.

It's giving me a headache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, just my two cents about the sandersonii - the blue has the wider apron like the one in the first pic,the leaves are much smaller, and they flower less frequently...looks like you've got a blue there!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this page out:

U. parthenopipes

This looks like it might be the real one: note the more blunt, shorter spur, and differently shaped upper corolla lip. What do you think, Christer?

tim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tim,

Yes the flower on the web site looks similar to the "blanchetii", but as you write the blunter spur and especially the upper corolla lip (which isn't as upright) looks quite distinctive.

Here's a side shot of a flower on my plant, which highlights the differences, when compared to the plant on the mentioned web site.

Thanks also for pointing me to that web site, it had loads of absolutely stunning CP pictures!

Regards,

Christer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12