What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some terrestrial utricularias

• Thread starter christerb
  • Start date
Hi,

Here's some photos of terrestrial species:

utriculariaspecies.jpg

Regards,

Christer

The photo seems to have bombed (at least on my browsers -- Netscape and IE).

-Bob-

I get the photos, very nice they are too! That last photo looks just like the U. sandersonii I have, that looks like no other U. sandersonii I have seen - can you tell me anything about it? I have always wondered if it was the "blue" flowered form (since I was only aware that there were the 2 forms in cultivation, and I had the other) but apparently there are more forms than I was previously aware of!

Hi,

I got this form from Loyd Wix in the UK a couple of years ago, the flowers are very nice. He described it as a "large flowered form with broader more colourful ‘apron’ with correspondingly large upper corolla. Possibly a polyploid clone".

I also have form from another source, which isn't as attractive:

sandersonii2.jpg

Regards,

Christer

I'm pretty sure that the plant you have labelled as U. blanchetii is actually U. parthenopipes. Nice plant though - mine just flowered for the first time yesterday.

Hi,

Could you give some more info about this? I've seen photos of both species on the web that look identical, except the parthenopipes on Fernandos Brazilian cp page which corolla (?) seems wider. I don't have Taylor's book myself, so any info on how to differentiate these species would be appreciated.

Regards,

Christer

I agree with Dodec on the parthenopipes, mine's bloom was almost identical. I think blanchetii is a more uniform mauve...

U. blanchetii: Flower purple with an orange-yellow blotch at the base of the lower lip, 10-15mm long

U. parthenopipes: Flower white white with an orange-yellow spot at the base of the lower lip, upper lip white to pale purple with darker purple streaks along the nerves, 4-6mm long.

Hi,

and thanks for the replies. Personally I would be hesitant to differentiate species by the colors of the flowers, since there is a possibility that this is something that can differ between populations. On the other hand the size differences will be helpful so I will have to take a closer at my plant.

Thanks again,

Christer

You're right, flower colour is often highly variable in utric species. However, Taylor says that the difference in colour between these two species is consistent. The flower descriptions are quoted from his monograph.

Hi,

Although the last flowers were not in best of shape they had a total lenght (height) of 7 mm, the lower lip is 5 mm.

I found a communication between Loyd Wix and Fernando Rivadavia in the CP list archive (from 1996) regarding these species and although it didn't clarify everything it was still interesting, especially as I acquired my plant from Loyd:

http://www2.labs.agilent.com/botany/cp/list/cp96alld/3744.htm

Regards,

Christer

That is a tough one. Going through taylor I keep coming to the conclusion that it really is a small white-flowered variety of U. blanchetti. It is a little too big to be parthenopipes (mine comes in at 7mm too), and the upper lip is shaped like blanchetii and not parthenopipes. As well, the spur isn't really much shorted and less acute as taylor says it should be.

But it is very clearly exactly the same colour and markings as Taylor describes for U. parthenopipes.

It's giving me a headache.

That is a tough one. Going through taylor I keep coming to the conclusion that it really is a small white-flowered variety of U. blanchetti. It is a little too big to be parthenopipes (mine comes in at 7mm too), and the upper lip is shaped like blanchetii and not parthenopipes. As well, the spur isn't really much shorted and less acute as taylor says it should be.

But it is very clearly exactly the same colour and markings as Taylor describes for U. parthenopipes.

It's giving me a headache.

Well, just my two cents about the sandersonii - the blue has the wider apron like the one in the first pic,the leaves are much smaller, and they flower less frequently...looks like you've got a blue there!

Check this page out:

U. parthenopipes

This looks like it might be the real one: note the more blunt, shorter spur, and differently shaped upper corolla lip. What do you think, Christer?

tim.

Hi Tim,

Yes the flower on the web site looks similar to the "blanchetii", but as you write the blunter spur and especially the upper corolla lip (which isn't as upright) looks quite distinctive.

Here's a side shot of a flower on my plant, which highlights the differences, when compared to the plant on the mentioned web site.

blanchetiiside.jpg

Thanks also for pointing me to that web site, it had loads of absolutely stunning CP pictures!

Regards,

Christer

Back