Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plant sources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kay,
    Bestcarnivorous plants doesn't ship plants til spring/summer. They are good to work with (send lots of gemmae when I was ordering pygmy dros. I haven't ordered their utrics yet cos it's winter). Their catalog is online at their site.

I too have all the utrics that Lees BG sells. The only ones I'm "sure" of are U. livida (it flowers contsantly), U. bisquamata (came with flowers). I've heard many are "nothing but subulata", but given the ease of infestation/colonization in other pots when growing utrics I'm not surprised somone receives erroneous species popping up in their cultures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember what I ordered from him, but what I got ended up being U. subulata, and a mixture of U. graminfolia and U. uliginosa. If the leaves are very narrow, with a pointed tip it is probably U. subulata. For the rest you will need to wait till they flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

Not entirely true. They e-mailed and mailed my order 2/24/03. It usually would be here by now, but it has not arrived. Maybe they sent it because I wanted to try the temperate Pings and they need to be sent as gemmae before the start growing.
    BTW, I have had horrible luck with pings(except for U. longifolia that grew so prolific, it killed many plants through suffication before I ripped it out). I am getting an RO machine soon, so I should be able to maintain a deeper water level.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Ok, I placed an order through a couple of companies from this thread and the results were truely fustrating. For starters I placed an order through California Carnivorous for a few different species, what I recieved was plants so infested with U. subulata and U bisquamata that I will never be able to seperate everything out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] and the U. subulata is already chocking out the other species, the order was a waste of money. I also ordered from Lee's Botanical Gardens, 4 plants. I recieved 2 bags of peat moss labeled as plants, but on very very close inspection there were no roots or leaves, or anything alive in these bags [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] the other 2 bags were mislabeled [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Has anyone else had this bad of experiences ordering plants?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need a magnifying glass to find his Utricularia usually (or at least I did when I ordered). Just look for the thin threadlike leaves, and if you can find one, plant with that side up. Of course, all mine have turned out to look exactly the same, so I'm guessing I've just got a bunch of subulata in different pots.
    I can't believe how hard it is to find Utricularia for sale. You'd think being such easy plants, more people would grow them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 of the bags didnt even contain those.....nothing at all but peat moss, I picked it all apart looking really carefully. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carnivorous23 and Kayaker.

PM me and I will try and set you up with some plants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12