Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White bugs in utric pot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, I was trimming down some sphagnum that was over running my U. Dichotoma pot and noticed a whole ton of little white bugs that almost look like fleas. I'm not really sure what they are, but they seemed to be hiding in the sphagnum. They hop around a lot, I haven't really noticed wings on them as of yet. I tried submersing the pot, there seems to be what almost looks like shell casings for them floating, but some of the bugs just hop around on the water. Really annoying.

Any ideas? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Vertigo,

What you got there are springtails. These guys are probably in all your pots, they are not a pest in my collection, eating only the dead stuff lying around. If you have a really weak plant they might take it down but even then I doubt it. They also make good food for some Pings and if one were to find a trap large enough a Utric would make quick work of it.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, I guess that means that I need to clean out any dead leaves a little bit faster. I'll move the larger U. Longifolia next to it, as well as the few drosera that I have...make sure everyone gets a bite. I don't have any ping's yet, so that's out.

Do they usually damage seedlings or cuttings at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen any of them attack living tissue in my collection. Many times I will knock leaves off Pings and just leave then in the pot to root and even though there aer springtails swarming throught my Ping pots the cuttings are left alone.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro,

Thanks for the help. Seems the only tried and true way of getting rid of them is to let the substrate dry out, which would probably not be so good for the Utric. Since they don't really do much damage, i'll leave them to the fate of my plants. Just freaked me out how many were living in the live sphagnum. I haven't seen any in any other pots yet, but I figure they're there, jumping everywhere.

Better get those ping seeds planted. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried drying them out, and eighther it doesnt hurt them, or they repopulated from a different pot. They dont bother me, so I basically just ignore them.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vertigo,

You can flood them out but it is tricky. Their cuticle is very hydrophobic so if you fully submerge the pot all of them should float to the surface. Just skim them off. The problem with this is that air pockets always remain in the pot somewhere and a few will hide out there and repopulate. If you have the light and space for it you could try for a sustained submerged period (1-2 weeks)

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro,

Yeah, they were definately floating and hopping on the water. I'm just kind of suprised that I noticed it in a pot of U. dichotoma. I'm not sure if the sphagnum choked out some of the leaves or if that's just where they made their nest, but when I trimmed it up it was almost orange underneath. The U. dichotoma seems to be growing away from that spot as well. I read somewhere that certain spring tails do eat roots and seedlings, but it seems to be really rare. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now, i'll see what happens if I surround it by sundews as well. Hehe, we'll see if my D. binata 'multifida' plantlets like them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast