Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian Utricularia Photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean,

The pink U. dichotoma is out there. I saw a photo of a fairly large population of them, I may even have it in my files. If I find it, I'll email it to you.

U. dichotoma is most impressive when in mass flowering!

I am surprised to learn of its preference for granite: this might be something to consider. Lately I have taken to using a base of pumice rock to place my substrate on, and with very good results. I might try the same thing with some crushed granite on a spare pot of U. dichotoma by way of experiemnt.

Are there other Australian species that are "graniteophiles"? In fact, if you have any input on any substrates for any species I am very interested in hearing of them :-) . I recall Pyro to be experimenting with a grantic substrate for his U. menziesii (drool. sigh.). How is that going by the way Pyro?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

The U. dichotomas I will be seeing tomorrow are not your typical dichotoma. The grow high up on an isolated granitic mountain range and grow in the moss pads which remain moist in winter and spring due to seeps running over the rocks. Plants are shorter and more delicate than dichotomas from other locations and do have a sort of pinkish flower (maybe these are the ones you mention?).

The same plants also grow at the base of the mountain range in damp soils, but in smaller numbers. These areas are the ones in which I have seen quite a few white flowered specimens.

I should be posting some photos of these dichotomas tomorrow night. With a bit of luck I'll be able to collect a bit of seed while I'm there.

Besides in this area, I've never seen U. dichotoma growing anywhere else on granite or other rocky substrate. Every other population I've seen of the plants is in sandy or peaty soil.

I have also seen U. uniflora and U. uliginosa growing in moss on a granite base. Over in WA I also saw U. menziesii growing in the same fashion.

I'd like to have a look at the photo of the pink dichotoma you have. Any idea where or by whom it was taken?

Regards,

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked my files and even did a websearch but I can't find it. I am going through my address book in hopes of recognizing the authors name as I did email him and he replied.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YAY! I found the photo, but it really is of too low quality to see the details of the flowers. I will forward it to you. I asked the author who reassured me the flowers were pink vs. light purple or lavendar. The location is at Bunadoon Spring. Happy hunting Sean!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual...beautiful photos and fascinating information.

Yep...my interest in utrics is getting piqued. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

It still boggles my mind what you can find over your way.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics you do...its greatly appreciated.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12