What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just curious

does anyone know anything about U. campbelliana or grow it?? i saw this really cool picture of it growing on a mossy tree trunk and i just got a little curious about it... ive always been very obsessed with epiphytic plants (plants that grow on trees) well, thanx in advance!! take care!

-josh

U. campbeliana is supposed to be very VERY difficult in cultivation. I do not know of anyone who actually grows it but it might be in a few botanical collections. From habitat descriptions I would guess that it would do okay under similar conditions to U. quilchii but I think it is a bit more highland so needs things a little cooler. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on one I would recommend growing in either 1:1:1 Orchid bark:LF sphag:lava rock (or perlite) or 2:1 Orchid bark:LFsphag. Top water to keep the media just moist. Temp range of 40-75. Humidity at least 50% probably better at 70% or above. Light should probably be about 1/2 sun but might be acclimated to full sun. I have not heard if this plant has a dormancy/pseudo-dormancy but it wouldn't suprise me, most likely the latter showing as a slowed growth period

Yeah, that's probably a good guess. I've heard reference to it being TCed in Japan.

tim.

wow....that plant sounds like a pain in the bum bum! i dont think ill ever get one..or even find one in cultivation...i just saw a really cool pic of it growing on a tree and i got all excited. just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it. i got really excited when i found out there are epiphytic pings too!! i never thought a ping would grow epiphytically. well, thanx guys!! i realized that all the plants that i ask about end up being difficult or rare in collections..lol take care

-josh

Back