User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: just curious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone know anything about U. campbelliana or grow it?? i saw this really cool picture of it growing on a mossy tree trunk and i just got a little curious about it... ive always been very obsessed with epiphytic plants (plants that grow on trees) well, thanx in advance!! take care!

-josh
    through understanding of our differences, we will find respect for one another. we are all flesh and blood. i am not affraid to speak my mind. no matter the consequences, stay true to yourself. through the humble eyes of a child, we will realize true equality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. campbeliana is supposed to be very VERY difficult in cultivation. I do not know of anyone who actually grows it but it might be in a few botanical collections. From habitat descriptions I would guess that it would do okay under similar conditions to U. quilchii but I think it is a bit more highland so needs things a little cooler. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on one I would recommend growing in either 1:1:1 Orchid bark:LF sphag:lava rock (or perlite) or 2:1 Orchid bark:LFsphag. Top water to keep the media just moist. Temp range of 40-75. Humidity at least 50% probably better at 70% or above. Light should probably be about 1/2 sun but might be acclimated to full sun. I have not heard if this plant has a dormancy/pseudo-dormancy but it wouldn't suprise me, most likely the latter showing as a slowed growth period
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's probably a good guess. I've heard reference to it being TCed in Japan.

tim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow....that plant sounds like a pain in the bum bum! i dont think ill ever get one..or even find one in cultivation...i just saw a really cool pic of it growing on a tree and i got all excited. just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it. i got really excited when i found out there are epiphytic pings too!! i never thought a ping would grow epiphytically. well, thanx guys!! i realized that all the plants that i ask about end up being difficult or rare in collections..lol take care

-josh
    through understanding of our differences, we will find respect for one another. we are all flesh and blood. i am not affraid to speak my mind. no matter the consequences, stay true to yourself. through the humble eyes of a child, we will realize true equality.