What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia Volubilis

G

I was recently sent a young U.volubilis plant from a foreign friend but am unsure about its requirements. I know that unlike most aquatics, this one needs to be planted. Does anyone have any experience with this plant? All help appreciated!Thanks.

Cool! I haven't been able to find one of those, not for a reasonable price anyway. I would try growing it in a regular mix (any combination of peat and sand), with the water level about a cm or so above the soil level.

There's a guy on the CP mailing list who has had one flower recently. You should post a message there.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any success.

that formula should work ok, I have seen them over 3cm deep, but it was an older plant that was very well established, that probably makes a difference. Just be sure to keep a very close eye on it. I keep a diary of observations on any new plants so I can look back and see if I had noticed something earlier or if it is new. I think since it's a new plant for you, you should try doing this, at least for a couple weeks.

The U. Volubilis looked like a small bunch of dead grass when I received it but I decided to give it a go anyway.
I pushed the base into the layer of peat and sand at the bottom of the fish bowl where I grow another aquatic Utric (unidentified!) That was about 2 months ago and just last week I noticed that new leaves were sprouting from the centre of the plant! The friend who sent it me says he keeps his in a deep jar. He sent me photo's and the plants were unbelievable! Long grasslike stems with a single purple/red trap at the end of each. I hope mine grows the same!

Flint, I like your idea of keeping a notebook of observations. I might try that!

Back