User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Utricularia Volubilis

I was recently sent a young U.volubilis plant from a foreign friend but am unsure about its requirements. I know that unlike most aquatics, this one needs to be planted. Does anyone have any experience with this plant? All help appreciated!Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! I haven't been able to find one of those, not for a reasonable price anyway. I would try growing it in a regular mix (any combination of peat and sand), with the water level about a cm or so above the soil level.

There's a guy on the CP mailing list who has had one flower recently. You should post a message there.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that formula should work ok, I have seen them over 3cm deep, but it was an older plant that was very well established, that probably makes a difference. Just be sure to keep a very close eye on it. I keep a diary of observations on any new plants so I can look back and see if I had noticed something earlier or if it is new. I think since it's a new plant for you, you should try doing this, at least for a couple weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The U. Volubilis looked like a small bunch of dead grass when I received it but I decided to give it a go anyway.
    I pushed the base into the layer of peat and sand at the bottom of the fish bowl where I grow another aquatic Utric (unidentified!) That was about 2 months ago and just last week I noticed that new leaves were sprouting from the centre of the plant! The friend who sent it me says he keeps his in a deep jar. He sent me photo's and the plants were unbelievable! Long grasslike stems with a single purple/red trap at the end of each. I hope mine grows the same!

Flint, I like your idea of keeping a notebook of observations. I might try that!