What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia reniformis small form

I figured it would take years, but the cutting I received in the spring is putting up scapes!! There are 2 so far. Plants are being grown in a terrarium outdoors, under a bush that provides very broken morning sunlight. Mix is live sphagnum and the plants sit in a few cm of water. I went wild when I fist saw the photos of these flowers, so this is a real treat, and I just had to crow :)

Tamlin,

How did those blooms turn out...I've been itching to see reniformis in action!

The scape continues to develop (it is already taller than the terrarium it is in, I have the pot lying nearly on its side. I figure I have about a weeks wait before I see the first flowers. I'll post a link when they open.

Tamlin,

That must be like watching water boil! Slow scrapes drive me crazy but I imagine that reniformis will be well worth the wait.

Damon

Tamlin,
Is that the plant that isn't nelumbifolia? Be sure to pollinate the flowers.

Giles

If you think this is slow you should try flowering U. tricolor!!!

Giles, this isn't the "not" nelumbifolia, although it appears identical in form to that plant. I will make the pollination attempt, but I am woefully inept with the process.

Pollination is easy in U. reniformis, because the flowerrs are so large and there is a lot of pollen produced.

Giles

Well, rather late than never: here is the long awaited photo!

Utricularia_reniformis_small_form_flower_083103_5a.jpg

Beautiful and well worth the wait. Maybe one day mine will flower!

Sean.

Sean,

I really lucked out: the plant flowered but a month or two after I got the start. I think this is my absolute favorite flower on Earth!

Tamlin,

I totally agree from the photos I've seen. U. nelumbifolia wouldn't be too far behind.

Sean.

WOW.. beautiful flowers.. Thanks for sharing Tamlin.
smile.gif

Steve

Wow...beautiful flower and photograph!

Mr. Tamlin...you have a LOT of "favorites". But I know how that goes. I have a ton of favorites myself.
smile.gif

Thanks for the pic.

What so special about the small form of Reniformis? why Would you want a smaller form of a gorgeous plant anyway?
The bigger anything is the more there is to love.

Part of the charm of Utricularia is the general smallness of the flowers: they are exquisitely perfect in form and color. It takes a certain kind of person to be willing to ponder this diminuative beauty. Their perfection and appeal isn't glaring or blaring, but once you come to appreciate them, bigger isn't really a concern. U. olivacea is probably the smallest flower per biomass of any flowering species on Earth, and I would rather have the opportunity to ponder their form than to gaze at the largest Nepenthes in the world. So, I disagree: bigger is not always better. It's all a matter of focus.

"The bigger anything is the more there is to love."

Traphole...I hope you embrace that philosophy throughout the rest of your life.  
smile.gif
 It is a rare man that feels that way.  
laugh.gif

And as Tamlin says, bigger isn't always better either.

Big, small, short, tall, bright, dull, simple, complex...each plant, just like each individual human being, has SOMETHING of beauty to offer.  Sometimes its just not as readily evident and takes a little thoughtful perusal to see.  
smile.gif

Wouldn't some species of Lemna be smaller, Tamlin? Sime are just a single tiny leaf, with a virtually invisible flower.

And I think U. quinquedentata gives U. olivacea a run for its money in the size department. Plus it has a way cooler name.

Dunno about that Dodec, not sure what constitutes an individual of U. olivacea vs a clone, but I have read that in several places, and find it credible.

Hmmmm, you'll have to PROVE that about U. quinquedentata! Such flagarant claims must be substantiated!! Scan the plant and mail me the results if you please! (But you're right, it is a cool name....errr, how do you pronounce that one anyways?!

Substantiation? But this is the Internet!

Re: U. quinquedentata (the pronunciation in my head is kwin'-ke-den-ta'-ta, but my head is frequently wrong).

From Taylor (Page 154) "Utricularia quinquedentata is probably the smallest Utricularia species (but see U. olivacea). The peduncle is exceedingly slender and is in fact only a little thicker than a hair of my head and often less than one half as thick as one from my beard."

Re: the smallest plant in the world:

The Charms of Duckweeed

What is the question you are attempting to address here? Do you mean the largest flower per biomass? If you want the smallest per biomass, v large trees with v small flowers would be a better place to look.

Giles

Back