What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bladderworts (Terrestial species)

Just curious, what is the easiest terrestial bladderwort plant to grow especially for beginners?

Eplants02,

My vote would go to U. dichotoma. Mine is growing like a weed despite being dried, burned, and moved across country. Other good bets that I have experience with are U. sandersonii, and U. tricolor. I have also heard that U. unifolia is super easy. If you are interested I has the first three, you can contact me if you would like a trade or something.

Pyro

Some of the easiest species to get to flower are andersonii, livida and bisquamata. They will flower soon after planting and will keep flowering over long periods of time. When the flowering slows down, start a new colony with a small piece of the old one.

Other interesting species that will flower given the opportunity are U dichotoma, U. flaccida (large yellow flowers, an 18 inch branching inflorescence), U welwitschii (tightly twining inflorescence with many pink, yellow and white flowers), U. tridentata (medium size pink flowers with a yellow palate.

Of course some of the more unusual species may be hard to find.

You may also want to try the easy Genlisea species G. hispidula and violacea.

What species get purple flowers? I have seen pictures of a few and think they are very pretty. I would also like to know if there are any with DEEP shades of blue or red?

Flint,

U. dichotoma and U. unifolia both have purpleish flowers. A few of the epiphytic species have purple or pink/purple (U. longifolia, U. humboldtii, etc.) U. menziesii, and U. campbelliana both have red flowers but I have heard that they are extremly difficult to grow.

Pyro

Thanks Pyro, I'll look for some of those come spring!

Flint,

If you find U. menziesii and U. campbelliana could you let me know. I've been hunting them for a couple weeks to no avail.

Pyro

You bet. I always try to make it a point to let the forum users know of anything new I get in case someone else is looking for it. I like to trade.
smile.gif

You can order U. menziesii from Allen Lowrie, but it's a bastard to keep alive.

I would think the easiest species of utric to grow would have to be Bisquamata. The betties bay giant is a nice form. Uniflora and Dichotoma are relativley easy with larger flowers. Subulata is so easy that once you get it you will wish you hadn't! It will spread to every pot in your greenhouse! Sounds good but it can choke smaller CP's like the pygmie sundews.
Flint, I just bought a Utric called Biloba. It had a single flower stalk wich had a small intense dark purple/blue flower on it.

Back