Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SeCrEt ClUb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to post a thank you to Zach for sending me a start of bisquamata. Fifth try is the charm I hope!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think the reason that there are only about three ppl on the utric forum is that there are about three ppl with utrics. I have had little chance to buy any and often when they're availible they're overseas! The main reason that you can't find these little guys elsewhere (I think) is due to the fact that they aren't impressive. All the other CPs have spectacular traps and leaves coupled with nice flowers but utrics aren't very obvious so they aren't publicly popular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW: try Best Carniviorous Plants. You have to place a 50$ minimum order but I know that won't be a problem... Heheheh... [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not impressive?!!!? Well, I have to disagree there (although I think most people do agree with your statement). Imagine going to a pot that has done not too much of anything and seeing 14 or so flower scapes emerging from the substrate, usually as straight as a ruler, each with a mysterious ball on the terminal end. They begin to take on color and form, eventually revealing flowers of the utmost personality imaginable, faces with jutting chins, long noses, pointed ears, evil grins. Goblins and Fairies looking right at you!
    Some are very tiny and delicate, their scapes as fine as hair, others like the alpines more complex and beautiful than orchids (with apologies to Suzanne&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img].
    You get a feeling for their growth cycle, flooding and then drying the medium, and learn to sense when they are going to flower, but it is always a surprise and delight when it happens. For me, the traps themselves are the least of their charm and fascination, although their function and form are the most complex of all CP. These are some of the most highly evolved plants on the planet, and every one has a different character and personality. They are perfect for sharing, actually preferring to be divided, and very easy to care for in most cases. They are rare, even if their rarity stems from their unpopularity, so it is a challenge to find the plants. For those that like the different and unusual, these plants are ideal. Most Utricularia fans are very sharing, since we all have been bitten by the same magic:-) There, I have sung my song of praise, now please go and find some rare species to add to our cultivation list and we will let you in the SeCRet club, lol.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee Tamlin, I don't know. After that comment about them being not impressive I'm not sure he should be allowed into our club (j/k [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] )
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're working on it Gafoto. I try to send out plants whenever I can, and I know Tamlin is almost generous to a fault.

Part of the problem is that everyone wants the same plants - the big fancy ones that are difficult and slow to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, firstly,
    I AM A UTRIC GROWER TOO!!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    people seem to have failed to notice that I post here as well, so can I join too? please, can I!!!

ALL Utrics are impressive. I personally prefer the smaller, delicate terrestrial species to the tropical {epiphytic} species.
    They appear small and fragile but are vigorous and strong. Most of my terrestrial utrics will start to flower over the coming weeks so I will take photo's to show you. I garantee you will be impressed!

Since we are on the subject of utrics, i'll take a photo opportunity and post this pic I snapped quickly this morning of my U. Reniformis. The pic is a bit ropey as I don't have the most impressive digi cam in the world! It seems that people in America have some difficulty obtaining this species where as over here its almost as easy to get hold of as Sandersonii!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

Sure you can join [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

I am jealous... My little seedling reniformis' largest leaf is about 2" tall. Well I'm sure it'll gain some size someday [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast