Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SeCrEt ClUb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lithopsman,

Just to add to Pyro's note, what happens is that the introduced species (Utrics) don't have a natural predator to keep its population in check, so it spreads like wildfire. In Yellowstone Lake, introduced fish are eating away the native population (some are only found in that region). This creates a huge problem as it costs a lot of money to eradicate the invasive species and usually it's not possible to remove all of the invasive species. I believe in California, some lakes were entirely drained, so that the invasive fish species would not spread. Of course, this kills off the local fish/wildlife population in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

Nice Utricularia you are growing there! Consider yourself one of the in-crowd!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks Tamlin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I don't mean to be to offensive to your secret club but I'm pretty bored with seeing this message (maybe posting on this message will become a rite of passage for new club members: finding a way to say something that hasn't been said before) I don't mean to dis anyone but I would just appreciate the room to post my boring junk. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing the topic to the top by posting doesnt exactly help it a whole lot...

I didnt mean for the topic to turn out like this, so I won't take credit for it, but I think its neat ppl can just blabber about their utrics as opposed to having to make a new post just to say "Neat, where did u get that utric?" you know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand what the problem is, Gafoto. But I can tell you're bored because you took the time to type that last message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utrics interest me quite a bit... but as of this time, I have not had an opportunity to add any to my collection, on top of that, I am not sure where i would even grow one! From what i have read, if I were to put one in my natural style aquarium, it would rapidly infest the entire place, possibly damaging some of my other plants by choking them out? and I don't even know if it could survive A) my window sill, or B) my back porch...

I sure would love something to eat all that #### mosquito larvae in my planter outdoors though!

And Gafato, I am not seeing how your running out of space, if you don't want to see it, don't look here, or just breeze right on by it.

\"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram,

I have two Utrics you could probably grow in your tank that would not me likely to run wild through it and kill everything off: U. calycifida and U. longifolia. Neither of these, has the "smother everything in sight" growth tendancy of such weeds as U. subulata. They also have real large leaves so you can see where they are and dig them out if they go where they don't belong. Both are great for windowsill growth and calycifida could probably survive on your back poarck as long as you made sure it would never dry out. Drop me a line if you are interested in either of these and I'll see what I can do.

Others you might want to consider for terrarium or window are U. reniformis and U. alpina. While slightly more difficult they have the same advantages as the above.

For your mosquito problem you could try growing U. gibba in the water trays but I don't know how well that would go over.

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast