What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia longifolia in flower

Here's 2,000 words worth of happieness and excitement. Who said U. longifolia was boring?

Utricularia_longifolia_Flower_022403_3_r.jpg

Utricularia_longifolia_Flower_022403_4_r.jpg

Not me that's for darn sure!! Very nice indeed!
later,

ohhh ahhh and other appropriate sounds of awe. Very nice, thanks for the share.

cheers

How big are the leaves on the plant that is blooming

thanks

There are about 6 leaves ranging from an inch to seven inches. My other clone had leaves close to a foot long, but never flowered.

That is amazing tamlin! Good growing!
smile.gif

Cole

ok
thanks
hopefully I don’t have to wait to long for mine bloom

Speaking of U. longifolia, I have one with about 6" leaves, and 1 leaf bent over and stuck against another pot where obviously there is a lot of moisture, and there are little 'roots' or whatever they are, just forming at the tip of this 'leaf'! I wonder if I can press the end of the 'leaf' into another pot of substrate and get another plant? These plants are so amazing.
Ludwig

hey ludwig, how about a pic? :-D
thanks,

Awesome and with only a few leaves!

I've got a whole mess of U. longifolia growing in a clear 6" tray(at least 100+ leaves) that was sold to me as U. alpina, some leaves are 7" but most are 2-4".

Did anything change to trigger the flowering? Water depth (mine is drained but the sphagnum stays wet just not waterlogged), temps, light, fertilizing, feeding with pond water, etc?

Killer can't wait til I see one in person!
biggrin.gif

Ludwig most utrics have this ability to easily be propagated from leaves, which means you must be careful when you keep them next to each other (especialy the small types which look alike when not in flower) as they can jump into eachothers pot when you water them. A single leaf knocked loose and floated into another container can contaminate another species. That's part of the reason I like these larger types as they're easier to differentiate when they aren't in flower (plus the often have larger flowers&#33
wink.gif
)!

As far as different conditions go, the plant was very root bound. The nights had been colder for a few weeks, we had a really cold spell prior to the flowering. Also the plant was at almost the end of a wet to dry alternating cycle, although it was still in about 1 cm water. Photo period was at about 11-12 hrs. when the flowering initiated. Also writing complaining letters seems to have helped, I wrote asking someone who routinely flowers this species how he did it. 3 days later I noticed a scape.

Back