Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blanchetii and parthenopipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the flower on a Utric in my care, which came labelled as U. blanchetii 'white-flower' (apologies for the lack of depth of field, but I could wait several days for the sun to come back out in England! ). I can see similarities and differences to the photo above of U. parthenopipes, but I suspect from the small size of the flowers, colour of the corolla and relatively short, blunt spur, that it is U. parthenopipes.

I am also growing a Utric, which came labelled as U. parthenopipes, but I don't expect it to flower until next year. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a side-by-side comparison of the two then.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I have labelled as U. parthenopipes. This plant came from BestCP.

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok....I was going to post my pic but Tony's is better and my plant came from him so its identical!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is precisely why I started this post. The pics of white blanchetii and blanchetii are more similar to each other than to the prthenopipes shown in Tony P's pic.
    My parthenopipes flower is identical to Tony's. The source for material is also Best CP. There seems to be significant differences between parthenopipes and white blanchetti in the flower structure (as shown by Vic and Sean). Could this simply a problem with mislabelling or are these flowers two different forms of the same species?

Damon
    Nothing needs so reforming as other people's habits.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white blanchetii seems to have come into cultivation from seed collected by Fernando Rivadavia and grown by Lloyd Wix (see CP mailing list article here.

I would suspect that most of the specimens of "U. parthenopipes" in cultivation now are decendents of Lloyd Wix's plant.

According to Taylor, the distinguishing characteristics are flower size and the shape of the upper corolla lip:

Corolla 10-15 mm long, the upper lip wider than long, with apex retuse [rounded with a slight notch] = blanchetii

Corrolla 4-6 mm long, the upper lip as wide as long, with apex 3-crenate [cut into 3 scallops] = parthenopipes

The plant I have has flowers in the nebulous 6-10 mm range, but the upper corolla lip definitely indicates U. blanchetii and not U. parthenopipes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always difficult to resolve taxonomic difficulties with plants in cultivation, where there is very limited variation. Perhaps we should just trust Fernando's judgement in the field.
    N.B. Loyd Wix, not Lloyd

Giles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "real" U. parthenopipes has flowered and it is definitely the real thing. The trick seems to be that upper corolla lobe. Just like in Taylor's key, it is as wide as it is long, and has two well defined notches, dividing it into three small scallops, the one in the center being smaller than the outer two. The flower is also about 5 mm long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12