Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanchetii and parthenopipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K another question about utrics...

Are parthenopipes and blachetii the same species? When looking for info on cultivation I often see these two listed as synonyms. I don't have blanchetii but my parthenopipes flower is white and the scrape is long. The pics of blanchetti I've found look nothing like my parthenopise.
    Clarification is in order...

Thanks
    Damon
    Nothing needs so reforming as other people's habits.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a tricky one. As far as I know, they are still considered separate species, as described in Taylor. However, Taylor describes the white colour as being a dependable characteristic for separating blanchetii and parthenopipes.

I beleive that the plant called U. parthenopipes that is most common in cultivation is one that was collected by Fernando Rivadavia (sp.?) as what he considered to be a white form of U. blanchetii. I remember reading that he said that parthenopipes is quite obviously different than U. blanchetii when seen in real life, but did not specify how it was different. Looking at Taylor, the upper corolla lobe should be more square, and the spur shorter and blunter.

All the pictures that I've seen on the internet seem to be of the white U. blanchetii. I have a plant now that is supposed to be the "real" U. parthenopipes, but it looks to be a long way from flowering at the moment. I will post a picture if it ever produces a flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we should all post pictures of our U. parthenopipes, mine has flowered none stop since I first obtained it! I definetly think this is a species that should be more readily available.....I will divide mine in the next month or 2 and give some away!

How many of us are growing U. blanchetii? Is it as free flowering? If anyone would like to trade me some I would be interested, Im not sure what I have to trade right now, I have had a very busy past 2 months, Ive had little time to spend on my plants (curiously though I have been dividing them, but Im not really paying attention to what I was dividing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

This is a photo of the plant I grow as U. blanchettii-

and this is my U. parthenopipes-

They are definitely very distinct as far as I am concerned. This is assuming that they are named correctly. I believe they are.

Cheers,

Sean.

(fixed it. Was a typo http://http://)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or are other people having difficulty seeing these pictures? If it's just me, what should I do?

Giles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just you, I can't see them either and I posted them. Did I do something wrong when posting? Or doesn't the server like my URL?

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for fixing the photo Tony. Sorry about the incompetence on my part guys. I'll make sure I check before submitting next time.

Cheers,

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see them now. Those photos look more or less the same as the flowers I've had from my plants - my 'parthenopipes' I received as the white U. blanchetii. There are photos of all 3 (parthenopipes and blue & white blanchetii) on this website Photos of Utricularia

I can't detect any difference between the photos of white blanchetii and parthenopipes. I haven't had that many flowers off my plants, and those of my blue blanchetii seem very variable, with various deformities - one I quite liked was missing most of the lower lip and just had a pair of pointed 'wings' on either side, like on a bucket orchid but with no bucket.

Giles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast