What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating Genlisea

Sup people. Well, since my cuttings (or should i say pluckings) of Genlisea leaves kept drying up on its mix of peat/sand, i decided to try something else. After reading about how drosera can sometimes bud when leaves were floated in water, I thought, "y not genlisea?'. So i took a clean plastic bottle cap, filled it with distilled water and placed a genlisea leaf in it, right side up. You think this will work? Thanks-Zach

It just might. I do my leaf cuttings on milled LF moss kept waterlogged, and I suspect they don't want to dry out. I also have good success with the traps, laying them on the surface, and also with the scapes which I cut before they brown and partially bury in the moss, making sure the little leaves on the scape are in good contact with the moss since this is where the rosettes form.

I tried the float on water technique and failed miserably. My best technique has been to take a hand full of milled sphag, get it sodden and then give it a good squeeze. the result should be damp enough that a hard squeeze will elicit water but when unabused there is no drippage. Compact this lightly and rest the leaves on it. Keep humid and mist the moss as needed. Plantlest usually appear in a 1-3 weeks. Using this method I am at about 90% success with hispidula, violacea, 'Ita Beauty' and lobata. Have not tried on my other species yet.

I've always done mine on pure sphagnum peat, sitting on a grid on top of water, so it is VERY wet. That seems to work great for my violacea 'giant's, which I have heard don't take from cuttings
smile.gif
. Also, keeping them in humid conditions will help against them drying out.

-noah

the genlisea im talking about was the one i got from you awhle back. Its in flower rite now, really nice. Got any new plants to hook me up wit? lol
smile.gif

Back