What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia pubescens

I keep seeing what looks to be flower scapes coming up from my Utricularia pubescens, they get only about 1/2" inch high and stop growing.

Is this species easy to flower or does it have some special requirement?

I have never had mine flower. Are you sure there is not some cleistogamous U. subulata mixed in with the U. pubescens? This form of U. subulata produces short scapes with a perfect little ball at the end that rarely opens.

Im positive it is not, this is much shorter and the stalk much thicker, and it doesnt seem to develope anything at the top.

I've got something similar happening with my U. flaccida. I think the scapes are either aborting because environmental conditions are wrong or something is eating them. Probably the prior

OK, I really need to go purchase Taylors book so I can figure out where these plants come from and doublicate those conditions exactly
confused.gif

U. pubescens is an easy plant to grow and to get to flower. Grow it the same way you would U. sandersonii with plenty of light, and cooler (not cold) winter temps. You should have no problem with this species. I would guess that you probably don't have enough light or there is something else that you are doing...

I have heard from a lot of people that U. pubescens is tricky to flower. Are you growing yours in a greenhouse, or indoors?

Mine still puts up 1/2 inch scapes and then aborts
confused.gif
Maybe its the clone......Im trying to remember if I got mine from Pyro...so many of my plants have come from him!!!

Utricman, would you be willing to trade some of your Utricularia pubescens??

Back