What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric-in-a-jar

i found this little aquatic utricularia (dunno what it is yet coz it hasn't flowered) and brought a piece of it home.
it now sits in a nutella jar of borewater-peatmoss mix with some mosquito larvae in it.
it seems to be really happy and the segments have tripled in length over two weeks!!
...just thought i'd let everyone know abut this little setup.
oh yes, it sits on my bedroom windowsill which catches the late-afternoon sun.

Cheers - Ben

Ben,

Sounds like a cool set up

Out of curiosity what is borewater??

borewater is also known as groundwater.
we've got a pump that sucks the water from under the ground and into the sprinklers.

So let me get this straight, you're raising mozzies in your bedroom?? You're brave man, I hate Mozzies with a passion, nothing creeps me out more than hearing their whinning buzz in my ear. More power to ya if you don't mind though.

yeah i hate mozzies more than anything else too.
so the jar's lid stays firmly shut...unless one of my mantids need a feedin...

LOL, ok, I could deal with that. I wonder what would happen if you put mozzie larva in a Nep pitcher, would it mature or would the enzymes kill it?

Well, if you kept the jar open, you could always surround it with S. purperea. Imagin. Wow, the larva has been freed from is watery ####, were small traps await to feast upon their souls. They buzz out all nice and hungry... What is that smell? Oh, well, they shall find out, in a few mintues they will be buzzing for the last time, and possibly the first, drowning, in water...

Back