What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric growing out bottom...

Does anyone's utric's grow out of the bottom of their pots? I was looking in my terrarium and, I believe it's a U. Livida, is now growing leaves out of the bottom drainage holes of a 4 1/2" pot. Is this a normal thing for it?

Yep. That is normal. Most of my terrestrial Utrics grow out of the bottom holes. U. longifolia seems to be the most aggressive of my plants. If you grow your Utrics in individual pots but in a common tray, they will stray and invade adjacent pots.

Hmm, maybe it was longifolia...it was definately one that I got from you Bob.
smile.gif
Have to look at the tag again later. At least it looks happy that way. I was wondering why there weren't as many leaves on top, but now I know why...hehehe. Hmm, makes me think that maybe i'll put it in its own tray within the tray for right now. Thanks for the help Bob.

I lost a bunch of Drosera[D. prolifera, ascendens(called villosa by most)] years ago, becasue U. longifolia did that and choked everything else, so keep an eye on it.

Regards,

Joe

I have some sandersonnie growing in with various neps, and it has a tendancy to jump from pot to pot, across the gaps... Not thru the bottom, but across the top.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Griffin @ Mar. 24 2003,4:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I lost a bunch of Drosera[D. prolifera, ascendens(called villosa by most)] years ago, becasue U. longifolia did that and choked everything else, so keep an eye on it.

Regards,

Joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Wow, I didn't really even think about that. I only figured i'd have a mess identifying things at some point. Hmm, so i'll definately put a seperate tray in my tank for the utrics...or just set them up somewhere with enough room for just themselves. Thanks for the input guys.

Virtigo, this tendency of Utrics is actually one of my favorite things about them...Most of my Utrics are in my greenhouse (80-90% humidity) and they grow any and everywhere they want to---along rims of pots, up and down the lath bench where the pots sit, up into other plants...I've got them even hanging suspended in air down from the pot where the water seeps constantly. I promise everyone I'm getting a digicam soon............
wink.gif

I'm going to hold you to that promise Ludwig. I want to see the hanging Utircs
smile.gif

Back