What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. tricolor

Hey all,
I have a U. Tricolor and it's producing long grass blades. Y is that?

Is it only producing the grass-like stolons? If it is, you COULD have U.praelonga. If it has both the grassy stolons, and the regular u.tricolor kidney shaped stolons, It may be tricolor infested with U. praelonga. There is no real way of telling so soon. Keep us updated.

Cole

All the leaves on U. tricolor are spade-shaped. Grass-like leaves could be:

U. praelonga
U. tricolor inflorescences
Grass

Do you have proper tricolor leaves on your plant, and if so are they attached to the grass-like ones?

Giles

Here's a pic of the U. Tricolor:

119-1980_IMG.JPG

The whole plant

119-1984_IMG.JPG

The base of U. Tricolor

confused.gif
That doesnt look like praelonga... it looks more like some kind of grass. Sometimes they sprout up out of sphagnum.

Cole

The small leaves at the base look like some kind of utric, but not U. tricolor. I agree with Colieo that the taller one could be a species of grass - I am assuming the leaves are flat, not cylindrical.

Giles

If it is grass, it should have a fairly obvious vein running down the middle. If it is round in cross section it is definitely not a utric. The leaves at the bottom don't look a whole lot like U. tricolor, although the do look quite a bit U. tridentata - could the two names have been confused at some point. U. tricolor has kidney-shaped (reniform) leaves - more or less round to oval with a notch where the petiole joins the leaf.

I have to agree, it does not look like Tricolor. The taller plant looks like the mexican grass I had come up in my pots.

Hey!
tricolor and tridentata can be very hard to tell apart....I have a terrarium where I have tridentata that is producing kidney shaped leaves, the only way I know it is tridentata is that before I changed the conditions in the terrarium it looked like tridentata, and if I remove it from the terrium it reverts back to looking like tridentata. I have also seen Tricolor look like tridentata. I would be hesitant to ID that plant, I would wait until it is a little larger. It doesnt really look like either to me (kinda looks like longifolia)!

The only thing I will say for sure is that that "grass" is not a Utric, probably some type of sedge.

The grass doesn't look much like a sedge to me - more like a rush, if anything. Maybe eplants could give us a description of it?

Giles

Back