Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australian Utricularia Wanted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point Damon. Other growers have noted that the annuals can also behave more perenially if they are divided regularly. Some species do and others don't. I may have a chance soon to experiment with U. violacea and U. caerulea which I think are annuals (I really need a copy of Taylor!)
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The annual vs perinnealthing is I think often times a matter of environmental rather than absolute. Taylor states that sandersonii is annual (I think) but the multi-year old pots that many of us have would argue otherwise. I think this might be the case with many species, in nature where the land dries out for 6 months at a time, you have to be an annual but in cultivation where you get good moisture year round you can behave as a perennial.

I have good news on this front. I have spoken with a friend who does a lot of TC work and he says that Utric seed should be doable, not too unlike orchid seed which is also very fine and small. He has had great success just experimenting with U. tricolor as well. So I guess now all I have to do is find a way to get some of the W. Aussie Utric seed into his hands
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some utric seeds seem to be annual by design. U. multifida flowers then dies. It does not produce stolons that could be used to start a new colony. I have also found that U. chrysantha dies after flowering, with no leaves or stolons detectable during the flowering phase. I tried starting new plants from clipped inflorescences, but they only produced more inflorescences!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the same processes are at work that govern mass flowering in bamboos? I had a very shortlived attempt to save a montane bamboo in flower by taking cuttings and treating it with auxin...it failed. I later discovered (from reading some old botany notes) that auxin initiates fruiting in plants.

Along with T/C experiments on seeds, it may be worth the effort to attempt short-circuiting whatever genes force the plant into self-destruction.
    Nothing needs so reforming as other people's habits.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dodec regarding the polypomphlox section, there is just nothing to use to reproduce them. I've tried leaf cuttings, but they have never struck.

I sure wish I had a dissecting microscope!!! Then I think pollination would not be such an issue. For me, just poking about in the flower doesn't work although I do try it at differnt times during the flowering cycle: right off the bat, a day later, three days later, and at the end of the flowering, thinking that perhaps the pollen and/or stigma might need to become receptive. All I get from my efforts is scrunch wrinkels.

While on the subject of annuals, does anyone have a list internalized of annual species? No need to dig into your Taylor, I am just off hand curious and too busy to research this right now.

Is U. warburgii considered an annual? It sure behaves like one in my cultivation. Other die backs post flowering for me are U. arenaria and U. welwitchia (sorry if I spelled that wrong), and I expect U. pauliniae to also join this list.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hormones could prove to be very interesting with annuals. You can use hormones to controll dormancy in aquatic plants. By adding the right hormones at the right times you can get plants that "must" go dormant to continue growing. Could something simmilar stop utrics "going annual"?

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,

Which hormones are we talking of? It might be very promising to experiment with trying this with some annual Utricularia. You could do the experiemnt with some U. multifada and perhaps U. violacea which should be obtainable to you. I bet it would also inhibit flowering though.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. dunlopii... now that is something I want!!! I'll swap you some menzesii for some, now where is that #### time machine!! LOL

The hormones are an "AZOO" product, I cannot remmember exactly what's in them but basicly there are three products which have, Auxins, Zeatin and Gibberelins. I think it is Zeatin that is supposed to controll dormancy... Don't quote me on this as am waiting to get some of these products to test myself, but I have heared some very good reports. I would feel that it could play havock with flowering though. For more information, if you can read Chinese (I can't), http://www.azooaquarium.com/

I don't know of any miulifida or violacea but could try it on some tenela...

George

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast