What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I thought you all might be interested in seeing a list of what is possible to see down under. Does anyone know if any of the species on the first list are in cultivation, and if so which ones and how do I get you to send me some of them >;-I)>

Species on the second part of the list I have seen on growlists (usually Dodecs).

Sean,
You be sure to find out where these plants are so you can show me when I come to camp out in your backyard!

Hmmmmph, looks like Australia hogged up all the worlds Utricularia, ptrobably why there are so few here in the States. We need to find a way to make this right for the rest of the world, don't you think?

Such incredible diversity! I sure hope they are safe in habitat, for it seems they have few homes in collections.

Utricularia albiflora {R.Br.}]
Utricularia antennifera {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia arnhemica {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia benthamii {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia bifida {L.}]
Utricularia capilliflora {F.Muell.}]
Utricularia cheiranthos {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia circumvoluta {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia dunstaniae {F.E.Lloyd}]
Utricularia fistulosa {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia foveolata {Edgew.}]
Utricularia georgei {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia hamiltonii {F.E.Lloyd
Utricularia helix {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia holtzei {F.Muell.}]
Utricularia inaequalis {A.DC.}]
Utricularia involvens {Ridl.}]
Utricularia kamienskii {F.Muell.}]
Utricularia kenneallyi {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia kimberleyensis {C.A.Gardn.}]
Utricularia lasiocaulis {F.Muell.}]
Utricularia leptorhyncha {Schwarz}]
Utricularia limosa {R.Br.}]
Utricularia muelleri {Kam.}]
Utricularia quinquedentata {F.Muell. ex P.Taylor}]
Utricularia rhododactylos {P.Taylor}
Utricularia singeriana {F.Muell.}]
Utricularia stellaris {L.f.}]
Utricularia terrae-reginae {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia tridactyla {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia tubulata {F.Muell.}]

These are around......somewhere. The starred entries are on my growlist, and I seek the others with demented passion.

Utricularia aurea {Lour.}]
Utricularia australis {R.Br.}]
Utricularia biloba {R.Br.}]
Utricularia caerulea {L.}]
Utricularia chrysantha {R.Br.}]
Utricularia dichotoma {Labill.}*
Utricularia dunlopii {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia fulva {F.Muell.}]*
Utricularia gibba {L.}]*
Utricularia lateriflora {R.Br.}]*
Utricularia leptoplectra {F.Muell.}]
Utricularia minutissima {Vahl}]
Utricularia menziesii {R.Br.}]
Utricularia multifida {R.Br.}]
Utricularia odorata {Pellegr.}]*
Utricularia paulineae {Lowrie}]*
Utricularia simplex {R.Br.}]
Utricularia subulata {L.}]*
Utricularia tenella {R.Br.}]*
Utricularia triflora {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia uliginosa {Vahl}]*
Utricularia uniflora {R.Br.}]*
Utricularia violacea {R.Br.}]
Utricularia westonii {P.Taylor}]
Utricularia volubilis {R.Br.}]

When you add in the Aldrovanda, Drosera, Byblis and Nepenthes native to OZ, it seems like there must be a CP within spitting distance at any time!

I would certainly be interested as well.  And more than willing to help out with permits and expenses for shipping to the US!

Tony

I have spent 4 years looking for arnhemica and the olny source I have found is Lowrie... Seems to be the case for most of the Aussie Utrics which is a bummer. I am working on finding out how well smaller Utrics do IN TC from seed and hoping that that might hold the answer

Well Travis, we sure need the answers. As I see it, nature is no fool and does not produce seed that will not germinate! There must be a way to get even older seed to be about it, especially seed from Australia, which has no doubt learned to bide its time before germinating. Its almost a hallmark of Australian plants in general(!): if this adaption had not evolved, the plants simply wouldn't be here with us now.

Hi Tamlin,

You missed out my favourite- U. beaugleholei. I didn't know that U.subulata was found here in Australia. Are you sure this is right?

I've seen a few of these in the wild. I've got some great shots of U. volubilis, benthamii, violacea and westonii from WA- I just need to get the slides scanned to a CD.

Others that i've seen are U. australis, beaugleholei, gibba, dichotoma, menziesii, uniflora, tenella, uliginosa and lateriflora not alot really when you consider the size of the list you have compiled.

The problem with the vast majority of the species you have listed is that they come from the far north of Australia- Crocodile Dundee country. I live about as far south as you can go before you hit Tasmania. Considering these are Australian plants there are precious few growers who have any interest in them down here. Most people are too infatuated with VFTs and Sarracenias for my liking (nothing wrong with these but Drosera and utricularia are far better in my opinion
smile.gif
)

I'm making attempts myself to get as many species as possible. With some luck I'll get up to the Northern Territory some time in the future and collect some seed. The other problem with many of these plants are that they are annuals due to the seasonal climate up in the NT. If they don't set seed in your collection you can say goodbye to them.

Sean.

I had mulleri... got thrown out by and over zealous staff member who decided to tidy the aquatic plants and get rid of all those floating bits, along with nearly all my aldrovanda!

I will have to try and get some more, I havent bothered as aquatics are bit of a pain to grow well as they need a tank and when you have a few species...

After having seen quite a few dichotoma flowers I am dubious as weather what I thought might be beaugleholei is actualy this. I think it is another wiered form of "dichotoma", but will have to wait for some flowers later in the season.

George

George, You had U. mulleri and they threw it out!?! Arrrrrgh!

Yup, I missed U. beaugleholei, strange since I am so eager to confirm my plants identity! It is currently thriving so lets hope it proves to be the true species. According to Lowerie's photos the flower is fairly distinct.

As to U. subulata in Oz, it has been recorded in both Queensland and also in the N.T. Heck , it's probably been collected in Hades (both the frozen and furnace parts).

Sean,

I don't know if I could survive in Crocodile Dundee land: from what I hear if the heat doesn't kill you the mossies and humidity will. Or the s-s-s-snakes and Croc's, and things I have never even suspected. You proobably need a Stillsuit like in the "Dune" book, and some good artillery to go there. Be this as it may, for the priviledge of seeing the Petiolaris Drosera species and these Utricularia I would be willing to suffer and suffer hard (as long as I dont get snacked on!) There was a beautiful yellow flowered species (not named) on Phill Mann's Video CD from up that a way that got me thinking about all these other species from Oz that no one has seen or photographed. I doubt that if (no, when!) I visit I am likely to make it that far North.

I can see what you mean about seed set being so important to maintaining the annual species, and this is probably why they are so unknown to growers considering both the difficulties in pollination the flowers and collecting the seed and the exporting of same. Still, it is nice to dream!

I once grew and flowered U. dunlopii in 1979 (so close to my former name of DiLapi the grower just had to send it to me!) I think this one is an annual as well, and it died immediately after flowering. What a cool flower it has! I will never forget it.

That list contains quite a few ‘holy grail’ species that I would love to have too! One of the problems with utrics (in my opinion) is that not enough basic science has been done on them. You know, the real dirty grunt work of observing many different populations in-situ and noting the subtle differences.

There may be some aberrant clone out there that doesn’t grow as an annual if exposed to the correct conditions…we’ll never know until every nook and cranny is searched out for these types of mutations. Just think about the D. filliformis and wonder what nature might be hiding from us.

Peace,
Damon

That's a good point Damon. Other growers have noted that the annuals can also behave more perenially if they are divided regularly. Some species do and others don't. I may have a chance soon to experiment with U. violacea and U. caerulea which I think are annuals (I really need a copy of Taylor!)

The annual vs perinnealthing is I think often times a matter of environmental rather than absolute. Taylor states that sandersonii is annual (I think) but the multi-year old pots that many of us have would argue otherwise. I think this might be the case with many species, in nature where the land dries out for 6 months at a time, you have to be an annual but in cultivation where you get good moisture year round you can behave as a perennial.

I have good news on this front. I have spoken with a friend who does a lot of TC work and he says that Utric seed should be doable, not too unlike orchid seed which is also very fine and small. He has had great success just experimenting with U. tricolor as well. So I guess now all I have to do is find a way to get some of the W. Aussie Utric seed into his hands

Some utric seeds seem to be annual by design. U. multifida flowers then dies. It does not produce stolons that could be used to start a new colony. I have also found that U. chrysantha dies after flowering, with no leaves or stolons detectable during the flowering phase. I tried starting new plants from clipped inflorescences, but they only produced more inflorescences!

I wonder if the same processes are at work that govern mass flowering in bamboos? I had a very shortlived attempt to save a montane bamboo in flower by taking cuttings and treating it with auxin...it failed. I later discovered (from reading some old botany notes) that auxin initiates fruiting in plants.

Along with T/C experiments on seeds, it may be worth the effort to attempt short-circuiting whatever genes force the plant into self-destruction.

I agree with Dodec regarding the polypomphlox section, there is just nothing to use to reproduce them. I've tried leaf cuttings, but they have never struck.

I sure wish I had a dissecting microscope!!! Then I think pollination would not be such an issue. For me, just poking about in the flower doesn't work although I do try it at differnt times during the flowering cycle: right off the bat, a day later, three days later, and at the end of the flowering, thinking that perhaps the pollen and/or stigma might need to become receptive. All I get from my efforts is scrunch wrinkels.

While on the subject of annuals, does anyone have a list internalized of annual species? No need to dig into your Taylor, I am just off hand curious and too busy to research this right now.

Is U. warburgii considered an annual? It sure behaves like one in my cultivation. Other die backs post flowering for me are U. arenaria and U. welwitchia (sorry if I spelled that wrong), and I expect U. pauliniae to also join this list.

Hormones could prove to be very interesting with annuals. You can use hormones to controll dormancy in aquatic plants. By adding the right hormones at the right times you can get plants that "must" go dormant to continue growing. Could something simmilar stop utrics "going annual"?

George

George,

Which hormones are we talking of? It might be very promising to experiment with trying this with some annual Utricularia. You could do the experiemnt with some U. multifada and perhaps U. violacea which should be obtainable to you. I bet it would also inhibit flowering though.

U. dunlopii... now that is something I want!!! I'll swap you some menzesii for some, now where is that #### time machine!! LOL

The hormones are an "AZOO" product, I cannot remmember exactly what's in them but basicly there are three products which have, Auxins, Zeatin and Gibberelins. I think it is Zeatin that is supposed to controll dormancy... Don't quote me on this as am waiting to get some of these products to test myself, but I have heared some very good reports. I would feel that it could play havock with flowering though. For more information, if you can read Chinese (I can't), http://www.azooaquarium.com/

I don't know of any miulifida or violacea but could try it on some tenela...

George

Greetings,

George, a very pretty site, but since I don't read chinese it got frustrating quick!  The website may be helpful when the english version comes online.

Tamlin, what is the chance that utric pollen may be sensitive to temp/light, like ping pollen?  If that is the case, the anthers may not be ripening or the pollen may be inviable if it is ripe.  The dissecting scope would solve that mystery pretty quickly.  

BTW, I found a site that sells re-conditioned scopes...the prices aren't too bad ($150 and up) especially if you consider how much we may be spending on plants in a season.  Check it out at www.microscopesfromnightingale.com/
Peace,

Damon[

Hi All,

I browsed around that website, and wasn't able to locate the plant hormone. I found plenty of koi pellets and water pumps tho.
smile.gif

Damon,

Thanks for that link! I will check it out. I really wish I had the scope I had when I was in college. I did a year long pollen study, and was to receive 4,000.00 in funding from the University for it. The funding fell through, and on completion of the project I returned the scope. My professor was surprised at my honesty. What a dummy I was back then, he couldn't have cared less if I had kept it. What a waste of a years time that was: I was so irked that I never published the results of the study. Well, I guess I learned a lot in more ways than one.

So when I "get rich" it is now an even race between a new guitar and a dissecting digital microscope. Tough call!

On the subject of plant growth hormones...

I found a domestic source for gibberillins that won't cost an arm and a leg.  Check out this site...mymegagro.com

I just ordered some, and I con't wait to see if I can germinate some stubborn utric seed!

I'll let everyknow how it turns out.

Peace

Damon

Back