Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australian Utricularia Wanted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you all might be interested in seeing a list of what is possible to see down under. Does anyone know if any of the species on the first list are in cultivation, and if so which ones and how do I get you to send me some of them >;-I)>

Species on the second part of the list I have seen on growlists (usually Dodecs).

Sean,
    You be sure to find out where these plants are so you can show me when I come to camp out in your backyard!

Hmmmmph, looks like Australia hogged up all the worlds Utricularia, ptrobably why there are so few here in the States. We need to find a way to make this right for the rest of the world, don't you think?

Such incredible diversity! I sure hope they are safe in habitat, for it seems they have few homes in collections.

Utricularia albiflora {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia antennifera {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia arnhemica {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia benthamii {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia bifida {L.}]
    Utricularia capilliflora {F.Muell.}]
    Utricularia cheiranthos {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia circumvoluta {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia dunstaniae {F.E.Lloyd}]
    Utricularia fistulosa {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia foveolata {Edgew.}]
    Utricularia georgei {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia hamiltonii {F.E.Lloyd
    Utricularia helix {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia holtzei {F.Muell.}]
    Utricularia inaequalis {A.DC.}]
    Utricularia involvens {Ridl.}]
    Utricularia kamienskii {F.Muell.}]
    Utricularia kenneallyi {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia kimberleyensis {C.A.Gardn.}]
    Utricularia lasiocaulis {F.Muell.}]
    Utricularia leptorhyncha {Schwarz}]
    Utricularia limosa {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia muelleri {Kam.}]
    Utricularia quinquedentata {F.Muell. ex P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia rhododactylos {P.Taylor}
    Utricularia singeriana {F.Muell.}]
    Utricularia stellaris {L.f.}]
    Utricularia terrae-reginae {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia tridactyla {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia tubulata {F.Muell.}]

These are around......somewhere. The starred entries are on my growlist, and I seek the others with demented passion.

Utricularia aurea {Lour.}]
    Utricularia australis {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia biloba {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia caerulea {L.}]
    Utricularia chrysantha {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia dichotoma {Labill.}*
    Utricularia dunlopii {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia fulva {F.Muell.}]*
    Utricularia gibba {L.}]*
    Utricularia lateriflora {R.Br.}]*
    Utricularia leptoplectra {F.Muell.}]
    Utricularia minutissima {Vahl}]
    Utricularia menziesii {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia multifida {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia odorata {Pellegr.}]*
    Utricularia paulineae {Lowrie}]*
    Utricularia simplex {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia subulata {L.}]*
    Utricularia tenella {R.Br.}]*
    Utricularia triflora {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia uliginosa {Vahl}]*
    Utricularia uniflora {R.Br.}]*
    Utricularia violacea {R.Br.}]
    Utricularia westonii {P.Taylor}]
    Utricularia volubilis {R.Br.}]

When you add in the Aldrovanda, Drosera, Byblis and Nepenthes native to OZ, it seems like there must be a CP within spitting distance at any time!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would certainly be interested as well. And more than willing to help out with permits and expenses for shipping to the US!

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spent 4 years looking for arnhemica and the olny source I have found is Lowrie... Seems to be the case for most of the Aussie Utrics which is a bummer. I am working on finding out how well smaller Utrics do IN TC from seed and hoping that that might hold the answer
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Travis, we sure need the answers. As I see it, nature is no fool and does not produce seed that will not germinate! There must be a way to get even older seed to be about it, especially seed from Australia, which has no doubt learned to bide its time before germinating. Its almost a hallmark of Australian plants in general(!): if this adaption had not evolved, the plants simply wouldn't be here with us now.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,

You missed out my favourite- U. beaugleholei. I didn't know that U.subulata was found here in Australia. Are you sure this is right?

I've seen a few of these in the wild. I've got some great shots of U. volubilis, benthamii, violacea and westonii from WA- I just need to get the slides scanned to a CD.

Others that i've seen are U. australis, beaugleholei, gibba, dichotoma, menziesii, uniflora, tenella, uliginosa and lateriflora not alot really when you consider the size of the list you have compiled.

The problem with the vast majority of the species you have listed is that they come from the far north of Australia- Crocodile Dundee country. I live about as far south as you can go before you hit Tasmania. Considering these are Australian plants there are precious few growers who have any interest in them down here. Most people are too infatuated with VFTs and Sarracenias for my liking (nothing wrong with these but Drosera and utricularia are far better in my opinion [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] )

I'm making attempts myself to get as many species as possible. With some luck I'll get up to the Northern Territory some time in the future and collect some seed. The other problem with many of these plants are that they are annuals due to the seasonal climate up in the NT. If they don't set seed in your collection you can say goodbye to them.

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mulleri... got thrown out by and over zealous staff member who decided to tidy the aquatic plants and get rid of all those floating bits, along with nearly all my aldrovanda!

I will have to try and get some more, I havent bothered as aquatics are bit of a pain to grow well as they need a tank and when you have a few species...

After having seen quite a few dichotoma flowers I am dubious as weather what I thought might be beaugleholei is actualy this. I think it is another wiered form of "dichotoma", but will have to wait for some flowers later in the season.

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, You had U. mulleri and they threw it out!?! Arrrrrgh!

Yup, I missed U. beaugleholei, strange since I am so eager to confirm my plants identity! It is currently thriving so lets hope it proves to be the true species. According to Lowerie's photos the flower is fairly distinct.

As to U. subulata in Oz, it has been recorded in both Queensland and also in the N.T. Heck , it's probably been collected in Hades (both the frozen and furnace parts).

Sean,

I don't know if I could survive in Crocodile Dundee land: from what I hear if the heat doesn't kill you the mossies and humidity will. Or the s-s-s-snakes and Croc's, and things I have never even suspected. You proobably need a Stillsuit like in the "Dune" book, and some good artillery to go there. Be this as it may, for the priviledge of seeing the Petiolaris Drosera species and these Utricularia I would be willing to suffer and suffer hard (as long as I dont get snacked on!) There was a beautiful yellow flowered species (not named) on Phill Mann's Video CD from up that a way that got me thinking about all these other species from Oz that no one has seen or photographed. I doubt that if (no, when!) I visit I am likely to make it that far North.

I can see what you mean about seed set being so important to maintaining the annual species, and this is probably why they are so unknown to growers considering both the difficulties in pollination the flowers and collecting the seed and the exporting of same. Still, it is nice to dream!

I once grew and flowered U. dunlopii in 1979 (so close to my former name of DiLapi the grower just had to send it to me!) I think this one is an annual as well, and it died immediately after flowering. What a cool flower it has! I will never forget it.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That list contains quite a few ‘holy grail’ species that I would love to have too! One of the problems with utrics (in my opinion) is that not enough basic science has been done on them. You know, the real dirty grunt work of observing many different populations in-situ and noting the subtle differences.

There may be some aberrant clone out there that doesn’t grow as an annual if exposed to the correct conditions…we’ll never know until every nook and cranny is searched out for these types of mutations. Just think about the D. filliformis and wonder what nature might be hiding from us.

Peace,
    Damon
    Nothing needs so reforming as other people's habits.
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast