What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From seed?

A friend just gave me some Utricularia and Genlisea seed.. how should I grow them?

Hi,

I germinated very few Utricularia seeds so far, and my 2 tries with Genlisea failed, but here is what worked on utricularia with my limitred experience:

I sow the seeds on the regular CP mix (2:1 peat/sand), keep high humidity, and water level at the level of the soil.

Tom

A very fine misting of the sown seed daily (or more!) has proven effective for me in some stubborn cases, but you must be careful nor to bury the seed in the process.

Should you use bright light to help germinate the Genlisea or Utricularia seeds even if the plant grows better in more shaded conditions?

Mine all germinated in my terraria using this method. I guess bright light can work for you or against you. If your medium is clean or sterile there should be no problem, but the wetness associated with the species can lead to algae and moss which can quickly overwhelm the small plants when (and if) they germinate.

I do not believe it has been shown conclusivly that Utrics and Genlisea actually grow better in low light. There is a discussion on this topic at the CPUK forum that I would highly recommend reading if you are interested

Back