What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aldrovanda

Hello,
I do not grow any of the plants in this forum, and although it may be a challenge I think I may try aldrovanda. Is it really hard to grow? I know it is nice to have other plants with it. (right?) and I think I read you need an even mixture of peat and sand. Does anyone with experience have any advice on this plant? By the way, I don't mean do my research for me,
wink.gif
like the basic care, just if anyone who has grown/grows this plant could have any tips or opinion on the difficulty level of this plant. Thanx
smile.gif

P.S. I know Dave S. and Copper have aldrovanda and Copper's has 1 and a half inches of peat at the bottom. How are yours doing? EDIT-wait, looking at that old post about gatorade, Copper said hers was thriving. Still, any advice?

Hi Droseradude,

Yes, I am growing an aldrovanda right now and it is doing well. I have it in a gatorade container under lights. I am growing it with other water plants like water lettuce, azzolla and water hyacinth which cover the surface of the container. I use rainwater with some pond water and I have added some peat which sits at the bottom of the container. The temperature swings from 60F - 75F and the growth has really taken off lately.

This is my first attempt at growing it which is going better than I expected.

Okay, so what I can conclude from this is that:
1) aldrovanda doesnt need a huge container
2) put peat at the bottom
3) other plants in the container is a good idea. (no problem, they sell these @ the pet store:) )
4) Rain water/pond water is good. (I'm going to have to research this, since it doesn't rain THAT often here, and there are no really close ponds.

Hi Droseradude,
Not to discourage you from Aldrovanda, but this species is somewhat temperamental. You might be better off trying some of the easier aquatic utrics, like U. inflata and gibba. The water chemistry is much less critical for these, and they flower fairly well.

Giles

I think I may try both. If the aldrovanda dies, then I'll still have a bladderwort. the aldro. are only 4 bucks or so.:)

Wow Dave. That's great. You didn't mention it so i assumed it had disappeared on you like it always seems to do to me.

I kept it outside for a few months and it did start to slowly fade away, but then it stopped and the plant started putting out new growth when I brought it inside and kept the growing conditions stable.

I grow my aldro in a 10 gal aquarium. There is about an inch of peat on the bottom. This is covered by aquarium gravel and aquatic soil. The aldro is growing well.

Back