What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboltii

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Can a U. humboltii do well on a windowsill?

in the savage garden it mentions that this plant is a good windowsil candidate but i would know .

Hey,
I grow my plants on a windowsil, and they are doing very well. I think they would also do well in a terrerium.

Cole

Joachim,

Out of curiosity, what sort of temperature range is your plant experiencing, and do you have any speculations as to what may have initiated the flowering?

Thanks, my window sill is southeast facing, 70-80% humidity. I saw that the caption for the picture said that is grows in pure living spaghnum moss. Is it essential? Thanks

Wes
cool.gif

Hi Tamlin,

this plant is sitting in my living room with day temperatures around 18-20 deg and night temperatttures around 12-14 degrees centigrade. We had a very hot summer when my Ut. humoldtii as well as my Ut. reniformis (large) totally stopped growing. The Ut. reniformis is flowering for some weeks now and the Ut. humbidtii is just starting to send up a flower stalk. Both of them already had flowered in spring with roughly the same time shift in between flowering.

I have three pots with Ut. humboldtii, one with a mostly peat based mix, one with sterilized LFS and on qith living LFS. The plant growing in the living LFS grows much better than the other two under my conditions.
Cheers Joachim

So they prefer live spaghnum but will still do well in peat moss, and just plain spaghnum moss?

Back