Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: U. alpina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is the largest leaf? That almost looks as though it could be a U.longifolia (it resembles my plant anyways). Do the leaves unfurl, or do they seem to just grow bigger (ie. swell) If they unfurl it is U.alpina.

Just a thought,

Cole [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    They seem to grow...and unfurl. What color are U. longifolia's flowers? The largest leaf is just under 4 inches. Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My alpina came from the same source as sarracenialuver. It appears different from my longifolia in that it produces plantlets from the tip of the leaves.

Flowers of longifolia varies from white to purple etc.

What was the original source for this plant? I have heard that longifolia has been sold under the name alpina...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummmm.... a couple days ago I potted up a U. longifolia plantlet that had formed on the end of a leaf. This was the first time it had done so, so I'm not sure if this is a regular occurence, or freak accident.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Alpina I have has only made a tip plantlet once, when it was root bound. The longest leaf is a little less than seven inches in length. My longifolia has not developed leaves that long yet as of yet.

My alpina has also developed suspended plantlets (best I can call them) I had found information that the alpina did this, but I have not been able to relocate the information.

Here are some pictures
    [img]http://home.**********.com/copper/alpinalongifolia.jpg[/img]
    alpina (larger) longifolia (smaller)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/copper/ualpina.jpg[/img]
    alpina

The longifolia has not been with me long. The alpina came from purplesundew with other plants. I have yet not had reason to doubt her plants. The rest appear to be what she said they were. I believe that I am going to refrain from sending out future plants for now. Whatever plants I do send out will either have flowered or go with an explanation that they have not. I am creating confusion and do not wish to do so. I have even had plants that I purchased from plant dealers, with name tags, questioned. I have come to the conclusion that nothing can be taken as a surety until it flowers.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the pictures posted so far look like U. longifolia to me, but don't rely on my diagnosis. It shouldn't be too hard to tell the two apart.

U. alpina should have leaves that have a petiole (leaf stalk) a few cm long, U. longifolia will just taper down to a point where it attaches to the stolon. If you look at how the leaves grow, the alpina's leaves should unfurl like a fern - the top of the leaf will be curled into a tight tube about 1-2mm wide, and will unwind as the leaf grows. U. longifolia's leaves will start as a small leaf that expands in all directions until it reaches full size.

Here is a picture of the leaves on my U. alpina. It's pretty pot bound, and you can see a tuber poking out of the medium:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dode,

My 'plant that came as alpina' has lots of tubers. Does the longifolia also have tubers? Mine does not, but it is small and I have not had it long.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    Im fairly new at utrics, and was wondering if you could tell the difference between the traps and/or stems? Like, say my 'alpina' has a white color to them, and 'longifolia' has a greenish color to them? Rose, I dont think longifolia has tubers from what I'ved heard. Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast