Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: U. alpina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    The other day I noticed on the end of 2 of my U. alpina leaves...there are another set of smaller leaves growing from the tip! Is this normal? I would post a pic, but my digi cant get a good close up. Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My newly acquired plant also produces new plants from the leaf tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Kevin,

Do not worry. Yes it is normal. This plant reproduces in many ways. It is a wonder. I have 1-2" and on 1-4" pot filled with this plant. Wait til you see what is happening below the soil.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Thanks both of you! Rose, it is the plant you sent me, and its outta control! Its in a 4 inch pot with living sphagnum, and its takeing over. I now have all these small pockets of alpina everywhere. I also took a very small plant that had some traps on it, and used in it biology class under a microscope! It was awesome! Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, my U. alpina is quite a slow-growing plant, and I have never had it bud from the leaves.

Is it possible that you have a misidentified plant? Can you see flowers or tubers on your plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Dode, there are 2 tubers on my plant, but no flowers. the leaves are only 2-3 inches tall. When I first got it, there was an explosion of growth.Now it seemed to slow down a little. But new pockets of growth are turning up in the pot.
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My U. alpina is growing very rapidly in LFS and housed in my highland Nepenthes terrarium (days 70-80*F nights 45-55*F). It's growing over, out and through the pot with a lot of stolons. How do I get it to flower? I've tried lightly fertilizng with urea free orchid fertilizers (bloom formula) for a while now and moving it closer to the light this produced plenty of growth but no blooms. Does it need to be larger and more Pot bound than a 4" pot? Perhaps repotting it will trigger flowering. I know this happens with many terrestrials that I have had in the past.

I've noticed most of my other Utrics will only flower when totally rootbound (or whatever you wanna call it) and this one definately packed in there. Does it need a warmer environment to trigger flowering? I could move it to my intermediate Nep chamber (75-85*F days 60-65*F nights). I have the same questions about U humboldtii which I have a big clump of too. U. nelubifolia however has only made 2 stolons in almost a year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    Josh, I got mine not to long ago, an dhasn't flowered, but I keep mine in my highalnd terrarium. Heres a pic:

Thanks to Adnedarn for hosting it for me!! If you look on on e of the leaves to the left, you can see what i was talking about, the double leaf on the tip, and numerous plantlets showing up in the pot. Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast