Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia hispida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone (like you Fernando) tell me a bit about the conditions in habitat for this species? This has got to be the most frustrating species I am cultivating, and I fear I am going to lose it if I can't give it more of what it wants!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frustrating? I thought it was a weed. Maybe you have the wrong plant, hehehe! It usually grows in year-round very wet seepages among tall grasses, between ~500-2000m.

Good luck!
    Fernando

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fernando. I don't know what I am doing wrong with this one, based on your observations I am doing everything right. I wish it really was a weed, but at least in cultivation it isn't.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ithink its just a slow growing plant, and produces fewer, more widely spaced leaves than other species. I also find that it grows in a seasonal pattern, even indoors under lights, producing a flush of growth each spring.

Mine has always looked quite bedraggled but it has flowered, so it can't be too unhappy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold on! I checked the plant today and Lo and Behold I am actually seeing some faint thin grass like leaves beginning to show again! It lives! Yes, and here is a small wider shaped leaf. Maybe it heard my cry! OK, I can breathe easier now: that which lives is not dying!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this to be a very strange plant for me in cultivation. When I first recieved it it had leaves somewhat resembling livida but tall. Shortly after potting it up those leaves disappeared and I thought it had died. Then I got some odd growth that looked a bit like grass but was not nearly as vigorous, upon pulling one of these "tufts" out I discovered that it was the hispida. I have since kept an eye on the plant and found that it seems to grow in fits and starts, tufts will die down and be replaced by new growth somewhere else in the pot. I have yet to get the plant to form anything other than the tall grass like leaves though
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro,

I would be happy to see this much action, and it looks like it might be happening. Gotta love those HID lights!!!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Pyro, those long grass-like leaves are the typical mature leaves of this species. Hopefully you'll get flowers soon. Not that the flowers on this species are anythinhg really spectacular but.... Well, maybe I'm just a bit bored by it because it's so #### common in Brazil. They're usually yellowish, cream, whitish, or greyish in Brazil, but I have seen some beautiful blue, purple and dark pink ones in Venezuela!

Fernando

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast