What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

daphnia

I have purchased a daphnia colony and put half into my aquatics tank. I did this last Saturday. In the tank I have inflata, purpurea, aldrovanda, gibba and aureaus. The plants were growing fairly well anyway, but there is already some amazing differences since the daphnia addition. The one that is most noticeable, besides the increased growth, is that the trap sizes of the plants has also increased. The inflata's bladder has increased so much that it can take in an adult daphnia. You can see the daphnia in the traps.

Is anyone else trying this? If so, to what results?

Could you PM me the source of your daphnia? I would like to try this too!

Thanks!

SF

Greetings,

Daphnia produce very durable resting eggs as a byproduct of sexual reproduction.  They look like very dark brown saddles...this is an extremely safe way of introducing Daphnia into an aquatic culture since the surface of the resting eggs can be sterilized.

The resting eggs need a 14/10 photoperiod to hatch out and a good amount flagellate algae to eat.

Damon

I changed a lot of conditions for my aldrovanda all at once, so I don't know how much feeding it small water "bugs" helped mine, but I am sure it helped. It did catch something similar to a mosquito larva that I could see in a trap. I am going to try raise some daphnia for my aldrovanda and for a genlisea with the traps that are growing in water.

Back