Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia beaugleholei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have sown this seed. I have a hunch that everything will germinate since it is fresh. Fresh seed seems to be pretty much problem free. I wonder when, how and why the inhibition sets in, and what the mechanism could be - if it's an over all subborness to germinate, or if inhibition becomes more and more prevalent in a seed batch? Congratulations on your success.

BTW: relative to that tuber forming U. dichotoma I had a very interesting conversation with Robert, who mentioned finding scattered instances of this as well in his botanizing. HE mentioned the sausage shaped tubers. Thought you might be in terested in that. PM me if you want a general idea of the locale and I'll dig it out of my email.

It's really amusing that everyone is making such a big thing out of this. All I did was sow the seed, and it behaved like Momma Nature intended for a change! Another of the U. dichotoma germinated as well yesterday, but I forget which. Also the D. felix, and I think you have this as well, so it won't be long! The foolish seed must think it's spring: good thing it can't see out the window! Over 2 feet of snow since yesterday here!!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTG! Great to see new things coming along.

Tamlin let me know when you have something tradeable.. I am sure I can come up with something.

I am very tempted to say yes to some seed Sean but not sure I would do them justice with my time spread around a variety of different genera.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great news Tamlin!! Take care of them, although they do seem quite hardy but fairly light hungry. Hopefully these will become a much more common plant.

I have a bit of seed I am going to hang onto and see how it goes later in the year. I can get a few plants of Sean, right?! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi George,

You can get a plant, but it will be a clone! Who knows what these will produce, hee hee. Sexual Reproduction has a lot going for it. You can quote me on that.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah George I can spare a few plants in a couple of months time. I think I probably owe you a few.

Don't wait too long to sow your seeds though. Utric seed has a notoriously short life span. I'd hate to see them become sterile before you get a chance to get them down.

I don't think that strong light is a prerequisite though. Growing amongst the thick reeds in nature would cut most of the light out that could potentially travel to the ground surface.

Mine are growing very well under the benches of the greenhouse in quite low light levels. When they are established I'll move them into more light. I'm sure the flowers will appreciate the higher light levels.

Since this thread started my seedlings have almost doubled in size! Most have at least 3 leaves and visible traps.

And Tamlin, I prefer sexual reproduction myself. Vegetative is just plain boring.

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Sean so thats how you ended up with a baby, I thought it was a cutting!!

Sean, I was thinking of hanging onto a few seeds to check the viability over time as this plant must be able to survive droughts. My only concern is crazy dormancy mechanisms kicking in making them had to germinate. I will sow most of them now though.

The seeds from the 'tuber' forming dichotoma look OK as well despite the mould attack. I dried them out and sieved them and they seem to be fine under a microscope. I am going to sow some to check the viability but as I said they seem to be in perfect condition!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I just wanted to add, that the beaugleholei seeds i received from Sean have germinated about 3 weeks ago! I have sown the seeds 24.02.2004. I took five/six weeks until they germinated. The same with the other seeds from Sean (several U. dichotoma and U. tenella). I have sown them out on a peta/sand mix und placed the pots under flourescence bulbs. The photoperiod was about 14hrs/day. I can't say how happy i was when seeing the first seedlings, especially of U. beaugleholei! I hope to be able to maintain these plants in my collection and spread them further in Germany/Europe.

Thanks again Sean!

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great news!

My plants grown from seed have filled a number of pots. I have a 6 inch pot that is so full of stolons that you cannot see the surface, the runners are now growing over the edge of the pot and into the water. Should be a spectacular sight in Spring.

Good luck with growing the plants to maturity Christian. As long as you keep the water at the surface of the pot they should grow well.

Sean.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast