What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia beaugleholei

I have good success using the stated protocol at the start of this topic. Gentle daily spraying of older seed may increase your success rate.

lollon = above ground stolons, i.e. "leaves"

rollon = below ground stolons i.e. "roots"

Not accepted terminology, but it saves typing and explaining over and over that these plants have no true leaves or roots. Just stolons. Hey, maybe it will catch on. It's a needed term.

I've already adopted lolon as acceptable terminology (to me anyway and that's what matters).

I wasn't aware of rolon until now. I've just added that to my list of CP terminology.

I'll do my bit to make these names accepted protocol within the CP community.
smile.gif

Sean.

Back on the topic of germinating seeds. I've just noticed germination of seed from the U. aff. dichotoma (the plants pictured in my Grampians N.P thread stickied at the top of the Utric section) I sowed back in November. There are small seedlings coming up all over the 4 pots I grew the parent plants in.

I'm very surprised they've germinated as like U. beaugleholei I've never had any luck with them over many years. Another good thing is that the parent plants are still going strong and are spreading throughout the pots, if only slowly.

This form has always been considered to be an annual form which dies soon after flowering. Mine are still going 3 months later.

Tamlin, did I give you some of this seed as well? I think I did but am not sure. If so, any luck with germination yet. Yours would have been sown a little later than mine so if you are lucky you might see some sprouts soon.

Sean.

I have sown this seed. I have a hunch that everything will germinate since it is fresh. Fresh seed seems to be pretty much problem free. I wonder when, how and why the inhibition sets in, and what the mechanism could be - if it's an over all subborness to germinate, or if inhibition becomes more and more prevalent in a seed batch? Congratulations on your success.

BTW: relative to that tuber forming U. dichotoma I had a very interesting conversation with Robert, who mentioned finding scattered instances of this as well in his botanizing. HE mentioned the sausage shaped tubers. Thought you might be in terested in that. PM me if you want a general idea of the locale and I'll dig it out of my email.

It's really amusing that everyone is making such a big thing out of this. All I did was sow the seed, and it behaved like Momma Nature intended for a change! Another of the U. dichotoma germinated as well yesterday, but I forget which. Also the D. felix, and I think you have this as well, so it won't be long! The foolish seed must think it's spring: good thing it can't see out the window! Over 2 feet of snow since yesterday here!!

WTG! Great to see new things coming along.

Tamlin let me know when you have something tradeable.. I am sure I can come up with something.

I am very tempted to say yes to some seed Sean but not sure I would do them justice with my time spread around a variety of different genera.

Tony

Thats great news Tamlin!! Take care of them, although they do seem quite hardy but fairly light hungry. Hopefully these will become a much more common plant.

I have a bit of seed I am going to hang onto and see how it goes later in the year. I can get a few plants of Sean, right?!
biggrin.gif

George

Hi George,

You can get a plant, but it will be a clone! Who knows what these will produce, hee hee. Sexual Reproduction has a lot going for it. You can quote me on that.

Yeah George I can spare a few plants in a couple of months time. I think I probably owe you a few.

Don't wait too long to sow your seeds though. Utric seed has a notoriously short life span. I'd hate to see them become sterile before you get a chance to get them down.

I don't think that strong light is a prerequisite though. Growing amongst the thick reeds in nature would cut most of the light out that could potentially travel to the ground surface.

Mine are growing very well under the benches of the greenhouse in quite low light levels. When they are established I'll move them into more light. I'm sure the flowers will appreciate the higher light levels.

Since this thread started my seedlings have almost doubled in size! Most have at least 3 leaves and visible traps.

And Tamlin, I prefer sexual reproduction myself:). Vegetative is just plain boring.

Sean.

LOL Sean so thats how you ended up with a baby, I thought it was a cutting!!

Sean, I was thinking of hanging onto a few seeds to check the viability over time as this plant must be able to survive droughts. My only concern is crazy dormancy mechanisms kicking in making them had to germinate. I will sow most of them now though.

The seeds from the 'tuber' forming dichotoma look OK as well despite the mould attack. I dried them out and sieved them and they seem to be fine under a microscope. I am going to sow some to check the viability but as I said they seem to be in perfect condition!!
biggrin.gif

George

Hi,

I just wanted to add, that the beaugleholei seeds i received from Sean have germinated about 3 weeks ago! I have sown the seeds 24.02.2004. I took five/six weeks until they germinated. The same with the other seeds from Sean (several U. dichotoma and U. tenella). I have sown them out on a peta/sand mix und placed the pots under flourescence bulbs. The photoperiod was about 14hrs/day. I can't say how happy i was when seeing the first seedlings, especially of U. beaugleholei! I hope to be able to maintain these plants in my collection and spread them further in Germany/Europe.

Thanks again Sean!

Christian

That's great news!

My plants grown from seed have filled a number of pots. I have a 6 inch pot that is so full of stolons that you cannot see the surface, the runners are now growing over the edge of the pot and into the water. Should be a spectacular sight in Spring.

Good luck with growing the plants to maturity Christian. As long as you keep the water at the surface of the pot they should grow well.

Sean.

Hi!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ April 28 2004,9:07)]As long as you keep the water at the surface of the pot they should grow well.

Should i do so with all these species or just with the beaugleholei ?

Christian

All of the Australian Utrics I grow from seed (and many others) have the waterlevel constantly at the surface of the mix. The U. dichotoma seedlings will grow much quicker if they are kept like this. Some seed I sowed of one of the forms I gave you is flowering at the moment- the seed was sown in late December!

Other species I have germinated recently with the waterlevel at the surface include- U. westonii, inaequalis, benthamii, tenella, dichotoma (5 forms including a white form), uliginosa, hispida, minutissima, lateriflora, pusilla, multifida, calycifida (3 forms) and chrysantha (2 forms- 1 with a brick red back). Every species I have tried in the last 6 months has germinated for me.

I'll post some photos soon.

Sean.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vic Brown @ Jan. 25 2004,4:32)]I have U. biloba, however my start, and that of several other UK growers I know, came 'contaminated' with U. bisquamata and I have been reluctant to share it for this reason (I'm often asked for some). Hopefully, when/if it flowers again I will be able to start a clean culture from scape cuttings and pass it around a bit over here.

Vic
Vic
have you ever tried to take some individual leaf cuttings to 'start afresh'?

I have found that some like it weter than others, my U. dichotoma from Enfield is doing the best completely submerged in full sun. It is starting to go balistic where a few pots I have scattered around are taking thier time. The dichotoma from Beenak seems to like higher humidity and subdued lighting (under hothouse plastic) and grows faster than when submerged.

This makes sence when you look at where they were seen growing as these conditions match thier natural habitat. The Beenak grow in bogy soil in seeps, where the Enfield grows as an aquatic in a shallow swamp and was growing in full sun.

I am also growing the "dichotoma" from Cheshunt (noone has seen a flower yet...) in the same container as the Enfield and this to is going crazy but this was found growing as an aquatic in a sphagnum bog.

Incedently all three plants look different and are easily identifyable from each other.

Food for thought  
rock.gif

George

Back