What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Utric is this?

Hi everyone,

I have just had a Utric species flower for the first time for me. Problem is that the flower does not match the species. I obtained a plug from a friend in the middle of last year and it has since spread throughout its pot.

The plug was given to me as U. prehensilis but the flower that has appeared does not conform with that species. I know that prehensilis has a tall twining flowerscape with a number of yellow flowers. My flowerscape is only around 10 cms tall (4 inches) and completely rigid, erect and self-supporting. From what I can tell it looks as though it may be U. bifida.

My question is- Does anyone out there grow U. bifida or prehensilis and can you give me your thoughts on what the plant might be? Can you describe what the stolons on your plants look like?

Here are a couple of shots-

Firstly the flower from the side-

Utricularia%20bifida1%20040204.JPG

And from the front-

Utricularia%20bifida7%20040204.JPG

Thanks guys.

Sean.

Hmmm, maybe it is U. prehensilis. I guess I was just thrown by the lack of a twining flower stem. Is it common for this plant to have a short non-twining scape?

Your flowers are almost identical to mine Tamlin. I searched Bob Z's site and most of the flowers of prehensilis looked a little different to my plant.

I'm happy to have the plant ID confirmed now.

Sean.

Back