Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alot of people say U. longifolia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew,

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only way to predict that the plants will flower is if you actually see the little fairies with their wands as they do their work. If the fairies don't come by, the plant will not flower.

In other words, no one has yet come up with a convincing rationale to explain flowering mechanisms in Utricularia. It is too difficult to isolate variables to test any particular theory.

So, what we are left with are a bunch of isolated observations, which may or may not accurately reflect what is true.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple variables that seem to be forgotten are light and temp. I believe that a change in photoperiod may have an effect on flowering and I also think that seasonal temperature variations paly a role. Nothing ever grows in a static state in nature and so it is little suprise that plants in cultivation in terrariums do not seem to follow any predictable patterns. I was only ever able to get livida and dichotoma to bloom when I grew my terrestrials indoors. Since moving to my new house and getting all ov my terrestrials outside/in the sunroom (only heated to stay above freezing) I have had blooms on 2 forms of livida, both forms of sandersonii, dichotoma, a plant labled monanthos that may or may not be, flaccida, pusilla, parthenopipes, simulans, welwieschii, and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

So something to consider when trying to get plants to flower would be changing up the conditions so they are not so static.

Just my random babblings
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice babble Pyro! It stands to reason that if what you are doing isn't working, maybe something else will!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm... slight changes eh? A little while back I did toss one pot of longifolia in the fridge for 2 weeks.... didn't do anything but set the plant back. It is back to growth now but nothing else.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flowered mine in a shallow styrofoam tray, water was half the way from the substrate surface, soil was 1/2 peat, 1/2 sand. It flowered on a 12/12 photoperiod, under a bench in my growroom ( I had almost forgot it when i found the flower stalk), lighted by a 400W HPS. The tray was on the cement ground, in a cool basement, so the temperature was around 15C. But still, I don't know if any of the factor listed here was primordial for flowering or not. The tray wasn't rootbound, but there was a lot of stolon and nice leaves though.

Since then, no flowering, but the plant has been carried here and there, and suffer quite a lot in this period :P but now, with a little stability, I hope to put it back flowering by trying lowering temp and photoperiod (windowsill growing in Quebec's winter are perfect for such conditions).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has only flower once (right now) here is a photo of it. [img]http://home.**********.com/jeremiah2/images/2004-1-28-U_longifolia_flower%20049.jpg[/img]

tell me what you think
    -Jeremiah-

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! Jeremiah!!! Great job!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks

yeah its a beauty, well worth the wait and effort

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast