Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alot of people say U. longifolia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    light intensitiy as well a photoperiod tends to play a big role in flowering for many plants. Anyone looked into the intensity thing?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all.. i grow a clone of U.longifolia i got from Jan Schaluer some years ago. Here in Colombia i have constant photoperiod and light intensity all year with only humidity and temperature changing slightly during dry/wet seasons. My U.longifolia is not root bound but spreading among 2 or three pots and has bloomed twice during the last 6 months. I am not sure about what triggers blooming but i notice it might be during the change from the rainy season to the dry season in July and January.

Hope this adds some good ifno to this topic.

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he got the U. longifolia var. forgetiana. This is widespread in Germany and told to be an easy flowerer. I do not know why there is that great difference, but I know no one who flowered the normal species, but many who flowered the var. forgetiana!

Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info Jan. What are the distinguishing features between the forgetiana and normal varieties??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Sometime not too long ago, someone (I forgot who) posted some information on the ICPS Listserve regarding this plant. He stated that it has been observed that this plant is known to flower in pots that have a relatively large surface area and little depth. So, I decided to repot divide my longifolia into 2 pots, one being the larger surface area and the other the origional 5" or so pot. Here's a pic I took a few days ago of my longifolia as I was repotting it. Of course it hasn't flowered yet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

The plants are now in the same conditions ( soil mixture, light, humidity, etc). It'll be interesting to see what happens... if only I could remember who posted that message...

-Homer

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I attended a meeting of our society and saw many flowering plants for sale. They were all of the ssp. forgetiana and in small 7 cm pots. This ssp. has smaller flowers and more erect, thinner leaves. In each 7 cm pot were two or three spikes with many flowers. So if your plants would be of that ssp they would flower all the time.

Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I think I need to find that form. I have flowered this species only twice, and that is way too seldom!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of mine. It is the plant that was thought to be an alpina. As you can see it is not, but the flower is lighter in color than what I have seen for the longifolia. Does anyone know its ssp.

Taken inside under florescent.

The rest are outside, in true light, but they are all fairly accurate to the color.

The leaf browning started recently and I thought it may have been caused by the flowering, but I note that all three of my longifolia are browning a bit.

I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast