What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss covering my Utrics

Hello,

There are these green stringy things covering up my nephrophylla. (sorry if I spelled it wrong) I would like to know how I can prevent this from strouting in future pots of bladderworts and how I can get rid of it in my current nephrophylla pot? I pulled it out of my sandersonii pot a while ago but just ended up destroying my colony, so I do not want to have to go through that again.
Thanks so much for the help, LA Traphole

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LOs Angels Traphole @ Mar. 07 2004,09:32)]There are these green stringy things covering up my nephrophylla
Hmm, could you possibly post a picture of these things? When my pots get unwanted plant growth I simply remove them with tweezers.  If this doesn't work I experiment with changing water levels, location (to vary the humidity) and hope for the best.

-Homer

I think it's a matter of time algae grows with the utrics. Slack's book talks about a chemical way of removing it - using dilute Cu2SO4 solution. I personally flush the pot with fresh water or submerge the pot to let the algae float to the surface and scoup it off - it works and you know that water is harmless to utrics
smile.gif

ROAR!!!
mad.gif
take care of the moss ASAP! In almost all my tric pots, i saw a lone strand of the moss. how cute, i thought. maybe it will grow into more moss that i can use in my terrarium! NOT. the thing instead grew all over my utrics and nearly killed all of them. once you get maybe 10-12 strands its hard to pluck them all out among the stolons...

True, but it grows back. We need to genetically engineer tiny little sheep that like to consume moss.

Maybe the "counting sheep?"
tounge.gif

Seriously, the fewer chemicals we throw in there - the better. I like Rocklizard's approach, even though it will probably have to be repeated every few weeks.

I find that the u.gibba is a good competitor against moss. This utric grows so fast. Sometimes if moss grows on the surface of the water, you can run a tissue paper over the surface of the water. You'll be surprised to see how well it picks up the moss.

But be sure that the sheep are larger than the bladders
smile.gif

If you have carpet moss, you also have a good reason to divide your clumps and restart in a clean medium. Although my plants generally will grow in moss, they do not thrive. Also I can't see those beloved lollons. Besides, Utricularia prosper from regular division. It seems to stimulate new and rapid growth, possibly as an evolutionary strategy to collonize new areas when parts break off and are transported in situ. Dividing them in cultivation results in more growth (and more plants to spread). I repot as soon as I see a lollon up to the side of the pot (I plant in the center), dividing the medium into 2 new pots. I try to remove as much of the moss from the surface of the old pot, and use this top part for one new pot, reserving the rollons for a new clean start which will hopefully leave the carpet moss behind in the other pot.

Hello,

I just noticed all the new replies to my original post thank you all for the input!!!!!

Well by now my nephrophylla is long gone too.
I don't know what killed both my sandersonii and nephrophylla.
I did noticed some very small grub looking wormy things chewing on the moss shoots. I think they're fungus gnat larvae, (I thought those things were harmless to plants???) Anyway I'm convinced that the combination of moss sprouting everywhere, gnat larvae, cool weather, and not have a large enough plug of bladderworts to start with all conspired to make my first attempt at growing bladderworts a disaster. Well I hope it's that and not that I'm just not cut out to keep Utrics cause that would be very, very sad.

Back