What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photo U.bisquamata 'Betty's Bay'

was sorting some of my photos yesterday, and found a nice pic of Utricularia bisquamata 'Betty's Bay':
BISQUAMATA%20BETTYS%20BAY4edit.jpg

The history of this plant is that I collected some unknown Utric seed heads from (literally) the back garden of a friend's house in Betty's Bay, near Hermanus, South Africa around December 1984. I germinated these and up came this large flowered form of bisquamata. It never seems to set seed for me, so it is not invasive like the standard, small-flowered form.

Very nice flower, and I'm glad now to know the story of this plant! Now I just need to get my hand on one ;)

In comparison to the 'normal' flower form, what is the size ratio between both flowers? Thanks for sharing!

I don't grow the small flowered form, but this flower is about 1cm across, will check when it starts flowering again:D

Wow, what beautiful flowers!!!!!!!!! I'm amazed, it's really spectacular! In fact, I even wonder if it truly is this species, especially because I know very little of African Utric taxonomy. Who identified it and on what basis?

Anyways, it's a beauty, hope it gets widespread in cultivation, if it isn't yet...

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

It was identified by Peter Taylor of Kew, who wrote 'The Genus Utricularia', so a reliable source! It resembles the standard form in colour, but with a very wide corolla. Taylor says it is a very polymorphic species, and the flower size is well within the range given for the species.

See Vic's photo of a whole potfull in this thread:
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3343

I am no stranger to polymorphism within species, mostly because of my taste for seeing plants in the wild and comparing them to clones in cultivation. I was just wondering who had identified your clone and how, especially because the African Utrics are so unknown. I guess if Peter Taylor himself said they were U.bisquamata, then it almost certainly is this plant.
Congrats on finding and growing this beauty!

Fernando Rivadavia

Hmmmph, what does Peter Taylor know? Besides, he's likely to have been half blind after looking at little baldder thingys when he should have been out drinking beer.

I can confirm that this is the "Bett'y Bay" type plant, and it is a remarkably pretty flower. I have a whole pot of them in flower at present: says so right there on my lable, heh heh.

It looks very much like the smaller flower form, although more "puffy" in the middle.

Back