What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. alpina flowering

Colieo

Staff member
Hey everyone,
My U.alpina is sending up two of what I *think* are flower scapes. They do not resemble lolons, nor do they resemble airial stolons. I was wondering if anyone could provide some pictures of what newly-growing scapes look like?

Thanks alot,
Cole

Mine is flowering as well. One is close to opening. This is the alpina that is 'question' on the forum so we will soon know its identity, I hope.

Good luck with that, I hope it is alpina. As with my plant, I am fairly certain that they are flower scapes... now the anxious wait!

Cole

Just to add something, I just looked, and my longifolia is also flowering. I think this flowering from both species is attributed to the spring day lenghth. Does anyone else have their plants blooming at this time?

Cole

Alot of my utrics are blooming, but the longifolia still does not have a scape.

The flower on my U. longifolia should be open soon. Judging from recent posts, it does seem to be triggered by day length or temperature. It's that spring vibe, man.

The flower on the alpina? has not opened yet, but it appears that it is going to be white (such as an alpina should) and not purple. I still wonder if it is a hybrid. Oh the stress.

My longifolia is flowering as well. My two plants put up four scapes between them within just over a month! Must be that spring thing. Funny though, since they were growing under lights. Must be the temperature? Here's a shot I took yesterday:

longifolia_flower.sized.jpg

Is the growth on the U. alpina developing into a flower scape? Many utrics (especially epiphytic) tend to put out a lot of above-grownd stolons in search of more growing media. If the conditions are right, these will even produce traps and/or leaves on them!

Edit: Looks like I've got a scape coming up on my U. alpina as well! Weee! Those spring vibes are even more powerfull than I thought!

My flaccid is growing leaves from a stem that has already flowered. On the alpina I have two diffinate scapes. I would have put on pictures by now, but I had to finish the lowland tank. IT'S DONE!!!!!
laugh.gif

Hi Copper,

I am guessing that the plants have flowered?

My U. alpina are about a week away from opening. These are some of my favorite Utricularia flowers, and I haven't had this pleasure since 1974 when I last cultivated the species. I keep hoping to see some action from U. humbodtii. U. reniformis small form is just finishing its flowering.

Well, the flower has not opened yet, but the petals are darkening. They appear to be going purple and are at a lavender now. I am expecting it to turn out to be longifolia at this point.

This is it. It is not alpina.

longifol.jpg

WHat a nice floral display your U. longifolia has given you. Beautiful!

Very nice! Is that the result you were hoping for? Either way, not a bad outcome.

Cole

On this one, I was hoping for a hybrid. My alpina is not flowering at this time. I wish that my other longifolia would. I would like to see if the flower is different. This longifolia puts out taller and wider leaves than my other.

Well, my alpina finally flowered!
laugh.gif
It is beautiful, rivals an orchid I would say. I have taken pictures, and will try to have them asap.

U.longifolia is almost out too!

Cole

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ April 29 2004,11:16)]On this one, I was hoping for a hybrid.  My alpina is not flowering at this time.  I wish that my other longifolia would.  I would like to see if the flower is different.  This longifolia puts out taller and wider leaves than my other.
I bet the flowering clone is U.longifolia ssp.forgetiana. It gets sold here in Germany as the easy flowering ssp and has more narrow leaves than the normal U.longifolia. I know few people who flowered U. longifolia, but U.longifolia ssp. forgetiana flowered for nearly everyone (after 1-3 years).

Jan

U. wha? I can't even pronounce it...I might try get some utrics in the future, but for now mourning over my recently 'dead' U.gibba (maybe in was bcuz I kept it in a bottle too long, it was still a baby, otherwise I don't see any other reason for its death. I'm hoping there still life in it and will regenerate when the time comes, it happened to one of mny neps, have to try do that to my bical...go to here if ye want to find out (and if ye want to heeellllppppp!)
biggrin.gif

Are utrics on the whole easy growers? becuz if so I might get some (looks like you get a lot of flowering pleasure, though. Copper, it looks like your 'alpina' is trying to show off...
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Back