Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia graminifolia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My third attempt with this species is a dismal failure, again. I don't understand why I can't get it to prosper. My first cutting went in straight peat, throve, spread like green fire at an astonishing rate, flowered and promptly died.

I have tried it in supersphagnum where it hung on, flowered and then disappeared.

My latest attempt in a mix of LFS and peat/sand placed on some pumice chunks for aeration did no better.

I grow all my plants on a wet to dry cycle, under ambient seasonal temps inside, and under good light. I would say it is generally growing under cool conditions except in summer.

What am I missing here? Is this plant an annual?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I will add my 2 bits although it seems more a lesson in what not to do..

I put mine in a mix of peat with some sand and on my wet bench. The water table is at the bottom of the flat but they get watered alot overhead so they do stay very wet but not flooded. It has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller and will soon go poof.

It did seem to do better last Summer and during the Winter seemed to vanish even more. Perhaps it is a temperature thing? Maybe I will put a small piece in some Sphag and toss it in the heated grow chamber.

Tony

Edit: It also occured to me that I took the shade cloth off last Fall and the plants on that side of the greenhouse get full sun from noon on. Many of the 'leaves' bleached out and were very pale. They never really grew new ones that were nice and healthy looking. Perhaps light level is an issue also.

Has anyone tried fertilizing? I pulled up a plug the other day to see about a small piece to view under the microscope and I couldnt find any traps.. Just a single stolon with a few measly leaves and very few branches off it.

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I u. graminifolia perhaps an annual? If it dies so consitently after flowering, that could explain things. Mine have spread like crazy and grown quite well, but then I haven't had them flower yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you growing it Noah I can barely keep mine going in growth.. nevermind flowering.

Temps? Potting mix? Wetness? ligth levels??

I am tempted to go totally opposite to what I currently do. After all it can't be a whole lot worse and when something isn't working it's time to make changes big time.

Next time I get over to the greenhouse I will toss some in some LFS in my shaded warm grow chamber and put it in a container so I can do the flood cycle thing.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a sneaking hunch that these are warmth lovers. I know this is inconsistent with their habitat, but it seems mine prospered during the warmer months. I know I am shooting in the dark hoping to hit a duck. Noah is in Ca, where things stay generally warmer, yes? I have noticed a sensitivity to high light as well, I have had lollons (heh heh) bleach out like you have Tony. I dunno. When I first got the plant it just went crazy, and I thought what a nice easy plant it is. I have never had a bit of problem with any of the other species I grow (except U. quelchii), so this is a real frustration.

So, c'mon Noah, what are you doing that we aren't?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well well well, I guess it's time for me to give away some growing secrets! (as if my chance successful attempts could be classified as such!!).

Let's see here... nothing special:

Soil: Mainly peat, with some sand and perlite.
    Light: 3" from two flourescent bulbs (one cool white, one full-spectrum).
    Pot size: ~3 inch pots (six pack).
    Water: I have the six-pack in a tray with water, which I re-fill when empty out to a hight of <1". I occasionally allow the growing medium to go almost dry.
    Temperature: The temperature is indeed quite warm. The plant is growing indoors and quite close to the lights, so the temperatures are probably close to 80 F during the day, while the temps dip down quite a bit during the night as we leave the window above them open. (note: "quite a bit" means down to 55 F on cold nights)
    Humidity: I kept it in high humidity (also lower light) but it was taking over the pot so I split it into the six pack it is in now, which it quickly filled. Currently they are growing in non-humid conditions in trays. In the low humidity this species tends to form a very low carpet of leaves, many times hidden by moss, almost unnoticable unless you look closely.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] I pulled up a plug the other day to see about a small piece to view under the microscope and I couldnt find any traps.. Just a single stolon with a few measly leaves and very few branches off it.
    I dug some up out of curiosity, and found an average density of traps:

I would expect that warm temperatures play a big role, seeing as this species is native to southeast asia (Thailand, Burma, etc.). I'll throw some of the portions outdoors to see if temperature fluctuations (both day-night and seasonal) will be beneficial/detrimental and/or induce flowering. The seasonal vibes that have spurred others (laterifolia, longifolia, etc.) to flower this spring have proved to be unhelpful with this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THis guy has never been a problem for me. I have it like all my others, 2" pot; peat:sand:milled sphag media; in a terrarium under 2 12" tubes; water up to 1" and then down to dry before adding more. The terrarium is out iin my sun room so it gets pretty bloody cold (dropped to freezing a couple nights) with no complaints from any of the Utrics. No flowers yet but growing like gangbusters.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, so much for my warmth theory considering Pyro's freezing conditions! I am back to Fairy theory. Noah and Pyro have them, Tony and I don't.

Maybe it's a matter of different clones, and these gentleman have the "easier to grow" type.

I thought this was a Brasilian species! I really need a copy of Taylor in the worst way. If anyone happens onto a good source for the book, let me know please, preferably a used copy with peanut butter on the pages....
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast