What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. lateriflora

My U. lateriflora flowered for the first time this last week. Here's a shot:

laterifolia.sized.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Nice shot Noah. Keep the plant seggregated from your other Utricularia after the seed pods form, it can be invasive since it sets seed well.

I just got a note that this plant is mislabeled (it's u. lateriflora not laterifolia) so if a mod could edit the topic title that would be great. Thanks!

If anyone received this plant from me, be sure to change your labels as well. I think I've only distributed this to one or two, possible even with the correct name. Sorry about the mixup.

Tamlin,

Thanks for pointing that out. I will be sure to do so.
smile.gif

Thanks Tony.

I assume pages such as this are illegit?
rock.gif

Yes, it is legit. The species has some variability. I grow the same clone as you do, but also another with more pale flowers. One of the key features of this species is it forms flowers in the middle of the scape, hence the "lalteri flora".

Hey Sean, do you have any flower photos of this species, in situ or in cultivation? I would be interested in seeing what others are growing by way of this species.

I think Noah is referring to the U. laterifolia naming on that link.

Here is a picture of mine.. not the best but the color is pretty good.  Hard to reproduce that bluish/purple. The upper parts of the lower corolla are a little washed out as the plant was in full sun and the flower is fairly glossy. I have more buds coming and recently put the shade cloth on. It will be interesting to see if the flower color is different or not.
Ulateriflora.jpg

Tony

Tamlin,

I've got a couple of photos of this species in different natural habitats. I'll post them when I get home from work.

Sean.

Tamlin wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One of the key features of this species is it forms flowers in the middle of the scape ...
Here is a photo of my plants that demonstrate that.
U_lateriflora499.JPG

Those are nice looking pics evreybody:)

Hi Seandew, where are those pics you promised, I am dying to watch them ;)

Here are the photos I promised. The first is a shot of the first flower of the season that was taken in the Royal National Park south of Sydney in August last year. It is quite a large flower for U. lateriflora, being almost a centimetre across

Utricularia%20lateriflora%20Royal%20N.P.%20NSW%20190803.JPG

The second was taken at the Cranbourne Botanical Gardens, a park in a suburb of Melbourne. The spur on this variety has a large notch in the bottom. This was also one of the first flowers of the season, taken in November.

Utricularia%20lateriflora%20Cranbourne%20261003.JPG

And a closeup of the same flower.

Utricularia%20lateriflora%20closeup%20Cranbourne%20261003.JPG

Sean.

Wow, nice pics Sean. I love seeing cps in their natural habitat.

Nice. I like that one from Cranbourne with the exaggerated notch in the spur.
Tony

Sean,

Neat notched spur on that flower! Are you growing this one, not that I am hinting for seed or anything. We all know I'd never do that.

Tamlin,

I do grow the form. Not all of the flowers have such a deep notch though.

Sean.

Back