Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U. pubescens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Humboldt State University greenhouse has for some years grown a plant labeled U. peltata. The ICPS database states that U. peltata is a synonym for U. pubescens. Until this week, this plant has never flowered. Below are photos of the plant and flower.

There are several links to photos of U. pubescens listed in my Photo Finder,
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Utricularia.html
    Some photos show a dictinct yellow stripe below the "mouth", other photos closely resemble our plant, which has no such stripe.

Any guesses about the identity of the plant below? Is it indeed U. pubescens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like U. pubescens. Taylors lists U. peltata as a synonym as well. He also mentions the yellow blotch may or may not be present. He also mentions a very large amount of variability in flower size, color. With the small peltate leaves being the key identification feature.

I have a couple different plants in flower now that I need to get some pictures of. One is small flowered with smaller leaves with a visible spur and distinct yellow spot. The other is larger over all with just a touch of yellow blotch and the lower corolla about as long as the spur.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I told Bob, this is another of my shames. I can't get this species to flower. I have grown it many times since the 70's, t does well enough, but never flowers.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm dunno Tamlin.. The one form with the larger stature is just flowering now for the first time with a single scape. The smaller form has been flowering on and off, although seems to be more prolific this time of year. So I am guessing it's somewhat seasonal related as I haven't done anything different since I had them. The larger one I have had since last Summer and the smaller one since last Fall.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had this plant for several years and it never flowered until now. I am growing it 4 different pots in my unheated greenhouse at home and it is flowering in each pot; whereas the same plant in the CP room in the heated greenhouse at the University shows no sign of flowering. My guess is that the near freezing winter low temperature and the warmer and longer day length in my greenhouse has induced it to flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will do everything in my power to minimally kill it next winter. That should be easy enough.
    "Grow More, Share More"

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. The U. pubescens I got from BobZ in February has already flowered and is working on its second bloom now. Here are a couple somewhat fuzzy pics. Enjoy [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Please have your plant call my plant. How are you growing yours, and any clues as to what may have triggered the flowering? A dry period? A light frost? Human sacrifice?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast