Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U. tricolor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been growing CP's on and off for 25 years.

I recently obtained a U.tricolor this is my first Utric and it seems to be growing very well though I have heard that I probably won't be able to get it to bloom.

Anyone have any luck making U.tricolor bloom? Or hints at this Utric type?

Thanks Philip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone answer him! i have one i just recieved about 2 weeks ago and had a rough trip through the mail but it looks like it will pull through. i would like some info too.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. tricolor is a little fussy about flowering, that's true. Still, it's a challenge, and the thrill when it finally does flower comes from the rarity of the event.

There are 2 current schools of thought regarding the cultivation of it. Some say to grow it as a shallow aquatic. This seems to produce lush growth, but few flowering events. The above ground stolons tend to be shorter lived and thinner.

The other school grows the plant considerably more dry. The "leaves" are fewer, but are thick and long lived. It seems most of the flowering events I have heard of are associated with drying or stress. I am currently experimenting with this method.

Good luck with your culture and plants. I hope you will be the ones to evolve a perfect regimen for flowering this species!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info Tamlin, i guess this ones going to require some experiments but i better get it established first [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep it on the wet side until it establishes then wean it to drier conditions over time. I hope to see mine flower this season, but they are not high hopes. I often get scapes, but they always abort before the flowers open. Another very frustrating species for me!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

You have been quite helpful.

Always ready for a challenge.
    Looking forward to giving it a go.

Philip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently bucking the school of thought that says this plant is a semi-aquatic. The strongest growing plants I have are a rough that ended up in a Nepenthes pot and one that is potter in a 2"x2" square by 4" tall pot of my typical Nep media. Both plants are dry for the most part and grow stronger by orders of magnitude than the plants I used to grow under water. I also have one plant putting up scapes at the moment and more than anything I atribute that to being in my sunroom for the winter where temps dropped to freezing a couple nights and photoperiod was definitly winter specific. Once the temps got up and the light hours increased fully half of my terrestrails flowered.

But that is just what works for me.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro, let us know if your scapes actually produce flowers. My plant puts up scapes every year, but they have never developed into a flower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast