What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlesia hispidula

While repotting my G. hispidula today, I decided to disect a trap.

For those not familiar with genlesia trapping mechanisms, here is a pic of one of the underground stolons. The tiny bugs who find themselves in anaerobic conditions make their way up the corkscrews in search of oxygen. Then they go up the tube and are trapped in the bulb (out of focus but I circled it.)

genlesia%20trap.JPG

I disected the bulb, and here is the inside. The little brown things that look like nepenthes seeds are the prey.

gengood.JPG

And here is the tube in between the bulb and the corkscrews.

gentube.JPG

Peter

I hadn't heard the idea of oxygen as a lure, but it is an interesting to consider, as are the photos. Dr. Milsoslav Studnicka has done some interesting research in the trapping mechanisms in Genlisea. I think it was published in the CPN. Its very good to get to know these plants. When I started CP growing they were myths, totally not in cultivation.

If I remember correctly, Studnicka theorized that it was the oxygen that lured the organisms. I'll have to check though...
Peter

Thank you for providing us science majors with something new and different!

Back