What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I germinated genlisea aurea seed

Yes!!!  Wooo Hooo and nice guyle-doodle-doo!! (Oh man, this editor thing is a pain in the rear!)  Anyways, back to the topic: You could knock me over with a feather!!  All this time I was excited about getting to see U. tenella in flower and it turns out the plant is Genlisea aurea.  I sowed this seed so long ago the label eroded from the pot marker, lol.  I got 2 plants, both formed nice small rosettes and both are presently flowering.  This is a very small plant!  I'll try to get a photo up, but the flower is very small and difficult to photograph.  Is anyone growing this species?  Are the flowers small and on short scapes?  The seed was originally collected in Brazil and came marked as G. aurea so I am assuming it really is, and it was none too fresh!  It is always an exciting event for me to see a new species flower, especially when it is a total surprise that I have been growing it!  So tonight I will do some research and learn all about the plant.  I never give up on seeded pots, and this is why.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is anyone growing this species?

Not currently, but if your plants produce seed... (hint, hint
smile_m_32.gif
)

brasilian plant....and i never found it here...
smile_h_32.gif
can u post a photo??
i have only dionaea and sarracenia...

Sadly, I have exhausted my webspace so I have nowhere to host my photos.

Are you in Brazil? If so, you have some wonderful botanical opportunities!

hmmm, np...
yep, im brasilian
"If so, you have some wonderful botanical opportunities!" yep, but im starting to like it (botanica) now...

I grew G. aurea from seed a couple of years back. The seed sown was very old- about 2 years. I had misplaced the packet and eventually came across it in a drawer. I sowed the seed anyway and got 2 small seedlings after a couple of months. They grew well- if not very small- for a couple of years without flowering until the Summer just past where I decided to repot them to remove U. bisquamata which had infested the pot. They promptly died
smile_h_32.gif

I'll be much more careful next time.

Back